1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TJ vs YJ mounts

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by EWSplow, Oct 4, 2015.

1. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

Does anyone know if a Boss Sport duty mount from a TJ will work on a YJ? I'm assuming there would be some modificatios needed.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

different mounts. Hold the TJ mount p agenst the YJ frame and fill/remove steel till it fits. I know a lot of help.. but thats about it, unless you find a YJ mount. Not likely as the YJ preceded the sport duty by 3 or 4 years, 20 years ago. the YJ was made util 95 and the Sport duty came in around 99 I think.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  3. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I thought the TJ frame is wider, but wasn't sure. Better too wide than narrow. Shimming is easy. I wasn't sure about clearing the spring shackles either.
    Thanks for the input.

4. gunsworth

gunsworth Senior Member

frame width is similar, the additional space needed for shckles and leaf springs will be the challenge.

5. EWSplow

EWSplow Senior Member

I'm finally getting some time to work on this. As suspected, the shackles are the biggest challenge. Fortunately, a friend has a small machine shop in his garage. Looks like we need to shim between the frame and mount and between the mount and push bar. I ordered plenty of flatbar in various thicknesses, so I hope it works.