1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TJ - Front Leveling Ideas?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by RobG, Dec 12, 2010.

1. RobG

RobG Junior Member

I have a 2000 TJ with a 6 1/2 foot blade (old CJ system modified to fit on my TJ).

The front sags a bit. What have you guys used to level off the TJ when plowing? I believe someone makes an air bag that fits inside the coils - are these expensive and will they impact the off-road capability in summer months?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I use air shocks. I have a 4 1/2 lift on my jeep so the shock wont work for you

3. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

4. RobG

RobG Junior Member

Plowmaster,

What air shocks did you install - Make/Model#

5. roachy

roachy Member
    from NJ

6. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

I am guessing he is talking about the air shocks such as the link posted below that allow you to stiffen your suspension via an air compressor to the shock itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA816-Max-Air-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000C53XOS

Many companies out there make them. Above is an example only.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  7. theplowmeister

from MA

8. snowrangler

snowrangler Junior Member

I use AIR-LIFT brand bags that fit inside coil springs.they have air lines that run along lower control arms,along frame and T at front cross member 2nd year using them works pritty good. No real off season articulation issues at 0psi,40psi with meyer drivepro 6.8 think I paid about 130.00 for the kit.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  9. darood01

darood01 Member
    from GR, MI

Which is the better route to go, air shocks or air lift bags? Pros and Cons

10. snowrangler

Well to each his own,but with air lift bags your shocks are left intact to still dampen suspention.also air lift bags are inside coil to cary load wich shock mounts were never intended to do.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  11. theplowmeister

from MA

Air shocks still dampen the ride

I use Gabriel Gabriel 49311 My jeep has a 4 1/2 lift

The air inlet is in the wrong place so I cut the spring mount and added a brace.

Others have cut the band holding the air bladder and clocked the top of the shock. replaced the band and used a exhaust clamp on the band.

See Post
    shock mounts
    Not that the hose clamp DID NOT work he later replace it with a mufler clamp.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  12. snowrangler

I was not aware that air shocks had internal valving that dampened suspetion eqivelent to gas or hydrolic shocks.

13. theplowmeister

from MA

An air shock is a shock with a air bladder to provide some load caring ability

14. RobG

RobG Junior Member

I ordered the airlift bags for about $84 with free shipping. I should have them in 2 days. I will post pictures of the install this weekend.

15. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

there is a air bad system that is made for off roading. it takes all 4 springs out and can lower your jeep under trees and higher your jeep up to i think 3 feet higher but you can lock it at a normal setting. i cant remember the name tho sorry

16. RUplow

RUplow Junior Member

Just joined the forum.
    First started with a CJ-7 w/ old steel western that was awesome except the cj kept me busy with repairs. So graduated to a '97 TJand now have a '04TJ I-6 w/ man trans.

Just put on air bags (air lift 1000's for $83 from amazon) and the ride is stiffer but not all that bad. A bit better handling as it made it less wallowing. As for the air bags we didn't follow the install instructions as we used a spring compressor (like used for macpherson strut removals) to get the springs out. The instructions wanted a bunch of disassembly of trailing arms and other suspension parts. Also the hole dia calls for 3/4 in lower spring perch which we went with 5/8 " . But be carefull as there is a fitment isue with the hose clamps. 3/4" is easier if you're lazy. I run a Westren unimount with 6'-8" plow. On the '97 it definitely saggged the front end, however, it plowed like a champ.

17. danskool

danskool Junior Member