1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tis the season, cant mount plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dave3121, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

I have a straight blade 8'0. Trying to mount it on truck to bring in for seasonal service. The toggle switch is not working and I cant raise it to mount it. In the past, the toggle never seemed to work that great so I would simply push the tower into place. I cant do that now either. When I push on the tower, it wont budge an inch. Feels like it is locked actually. Any input would be great. Thank you. ( plow is approx 6 yrs old )

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is the controller in float?

3. Dave3121

Dave3121 Junior Member

Yes, controller is in float.

4. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I’m not sure if this will help but I experienced a similar issue this year with one of my Boss 8-2 V’s. I ended up extensively cleaning both electrical connections and reapplying dialectic grease as well as gently expanding the pins on the connections with a small screw driver. This ultimately did resolve the problem. You might also check the power and ground connections inside the tower housing.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not ruling out a toggle/connection problem but....

Did you check to be sure you even had power and ground on the plow side? Could have simply been a poor connection in the power cable connector at the bumper.

If you find you do have power and ground, then to "manually" mount it to the truck (like you've done in the past) use two jumper wires from the positive post on the battery to the orange and the white wires either on the valve coils or the toggle terminals...either place is fine. This will (or should) open both the lift and the lower valves which will free up the lift cylinder...allowing you to manually push the light tower up, pinning it to the truck.

However your problem in the past isn't related to a lack of an electrical connection between the truck and plow or else you wouldn't have been able to push the light tower up (just like in this case now). That has to be either a bad toggle switch, a bad smart hitch valve or coil, or a poor wiring connection between them.

Might be also a good time to add for any naysayers out there.....

I know these "hydraulically powered to connect" plows scare guys but with a couple of small jumper wires and a set of jumper cables you can attach/detach these Smart Hitch equipped Boss's no matter what dies...short of the pump/motor itself.

And in that case you just jump the orange and white wires with a jumper lead (again to free up the lift cylinder) and run it up onto a snowbank...and then yes, short chain it with a strap....just like any other plow. ;)