1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tis a sad day

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LawnjockyS, Nov 15, 2014.

1. LawnjockyS

LawnjockyS Junior Member

Yesterday I had a message on my machine from a NSP wanting to know if I would consider plowing a site for them. Whats interesting is I have plowed it for 15+ years. I called the store manager and then the district manager and neither one knew anything was different, both were expecting me to plow as usual. I then called the NSP who told me they had taken over all outside maint. He wanted to send me their info so I sad ok and then read it over. On the face I get paid a lot more per push and there is even salting for extra money. That's the good. The bad is after reading and considering all the stipulations, clauses, added work, non paid extra trips and penalties I think it very possible I will actually get paid less if at all. One other fun item, I need to sign up by today, the 15th.

I know this is the future but I want no part of it. Thankfully I don't need the work.

For you guys that can do these NSP jobs I wish you luck and good fortune.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Check and make sure they actually have the lot before you write it off. I had one just like this a couple years ago, and turns out the NSP never had the lot to begin with.

3. LawnjockyS

LawnjockyS Junior Member

Thanks for the advice Rc. When I called the district manager about this he is supposed to get back to me. If I don't hear from him I will follow up.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time I have lost a job this way (if it is gone). A few years ago another place I had done forever and a day went with a regional outfit that didn't even give me a call before hiring a competitor. I wasn't fired, they just took over the chains locations and stated calling snow plow contractors. The first one to agree to their terms got the job.

It seems to me that in the world of national and regional service providers, service and close communications with store management is becoming less and less important.

4. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

If contractors would stop taking these crazy contracts from the NSP's maybe it would force them to go out and buy there own iron and realize what it really cost to service these properties. Sooner or later the word will get out that they hardly ever pay what's promised and that if you sign those contracts your most likely coming out on the losing end.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

2" thick contracts for some one who in turn is a customer is a fool to sign them. They need t sign yours period. I had a job non snow related to do work for a big contracting co so basicly a customer they brought out this latterly 2" thick contract I would not sign but I made them sign mine.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Both of these posts are dead on. Now we'll get to hear from the guys that have signed and have gotten ran through the wringer. Crying that they want their money. If they would just not sign up with them, they might get the work from the property owner rather then chance getting anything from the NSP.

The one big thing I can not understand is, why any person that owns/operates their own business would sign a contract with another companies guidelines? Seriously, if anything, stand up for yourself and make them sign YOUR contract or pound sand. When you sign with NSP's you're essentially becoming their employee. NO THANKS

7. excav8ter

excav8ter Senior Member

I am curious if there are any "Nationals" working in my area.... i may be a low baller, but even i have standards. :)

8. LawnjockyS

LawnjockyS Junior Member

I just had a thought. Most towns push shop local, buy local but they never really distinguish between local places and national stores that are in town. The normal push is to buy from the local Wal-Mart and to not go out of town to Target. The truth is we shouldn't buy from any national or regional company. If we only shopped at mom and pop places it would kill the NSP's and support our home towns. The NSP's exist to take care of the chain stores, banks, pharmacies, etc. It's kind of like "Buy American" on a local level. After all most of us are "mom and pop" operations.

9. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

It's a good idea...but it will never happen. Mom and Pop shops sell less, so the cost is higher. So the first thing people will cry about is prices, and will in turn go right back to large chains to save money.

10. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It is pretty tough to do in my town. Most everything anymore is a national chain. My next door neighbor owns a local snatch and grab with gas pumps. Great little place but his prices are higher. I do support him every chance I get but he is one of the few left. In fact it is getting so bad that one of the local hospitals is trying to run out all the private physicians. They want them to go to work for them or they will no longer be associated with their hospital.