1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tls22, Oct 15, 2009.

1. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Hey guys im in the market for new tires. I was looking at the Goodyear MTR'S 285, i have heard that the MT's will suck in snow. I have also heard from people that have used them that they are awesome in snow. I really want these tires, and can get a good deal on them. Thanks for the help. have a great winter guys.

truly yours Tim:waving:
  2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

i ran 3 sets of mtrs and loved them on any terrain. they didnt like the 2500hd cc d/a tho...it was enough heavier to make the tires pretty short lived. but on my big block gasser they were great.
  3. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks mcfly.......no problems in the snow?

have a great winter :drinkup:
  4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

mine got around great in the snow, best tire I've had in a very long time.
  5. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

sweet deal..thanks mcfly
  6. 1999 GMC 1500

1999 GMC 1500 Member

try TOYO open country A/T ive got them on a 1995 gmc suburban, there AWSOME
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Tim I got deffinety dakota at's they are nice but wear fast. From what I have heard you cant go wrong with bfg at's but they are expensive. If you can get a good deal on some good year mts I would say go for it. Good year is a good brand as long as they have a nice tread pattern, think about highway noise too when it comes to tires if that bothers you at all
  8. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for the input deere. I talk to two people that got the tires a month ago, they said they dont know if they got use to the sound or it went away because they just dont hear it anymore. I have heard they can be a little bit noisy. I think im going to go for them.....
  9. deere615

yeah I had a set of bfg long trails on my front 2yrs ago and they whistled until they wore down about half way boy were they annoying
  10. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

lol...what if i put the radio really loud? :p
  11. deere615

Thats what I did!:D
  12. CGBear

CGBear Junior Member
    from Chicago

I had a set of 33x12.5x15 BFG MT's on my Chevy and they were great! I had a set of Thornbirds, and a set of BFG AT's on a jeep and they were awful. The thornbird is the coolest looking off road tire I've ever seen though, but they're garbage! I now have a set of 36x12.5x16.5 Goodyear MT OZ's that will get me through anything I point my truck at. I've yet to use them in the snow, but the previous owner said they're awesome. They are pretty noisy. The Thornbirds were the loudest, then the Goodyear, BFG MT and the quietest was the BFG AT. The AT may be ok on a truck, but I had them on a Jeep and it was too light to get any bite.
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

The only real downfall to any mud terrain tires is that they're pretty bad on ice (since most don't have very much siping). My Mickey's did fine last winter on ice- you just have to be smart, that's all. But, in a good SNOW storm- they couldn't be beat- dig like no other tire out there! If you can get a good deal on the Goodyear's Tim, I'd go for them, M/T's also add some "mean" to the truck as well :nod:
  14. StormRanger

StormRanger Member
    from NorEast

what kind of milage are you getting out of the MTR's?
  15. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Thanks CG......from what i gather im going to have to deal with the noise....im just going to use them for winter....then put my summer tires back on for landscaping. Thanks for the input....i think im pretty sold on them now....have a great winter.

Thanks Matt. I have heard they lack the slice on the tread which help on the ice....i hope i can over come that. I to also like the "mean" look im going to have after i put them on. I also have chrome rims for them...so its going to look sweet. Did you get any snow at school? Have a great winter bud...we all need to do a meet soon.
  16. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

You know me deere...i will blast the black eye peas or some evacuate the dance floor :drinkup:
  17. wicked85

wicked85 Member
    from Indiana

I have the Kumho MT's and they are great as well, in 4 wheel drive I can stomp on the pedal and leave everyone at the light, no matter what the conditions are. This is the second set I have owned, first on an 83 F250 and now on a K1500.

98GMCSIERRA Junior Member

Anybody use Goodyear Silent Armor Pro Grades? Interested in getting a set of those for the winter mostly, just wanted to get some opinions. They dont have the most aggressive looking tread ever but real aggressive tread doesnt seem to do well in the snow. Mostly I'll be looking for something that holds up good in the snow because I do a lot of commuting back and forth to school. I have Mastercraft Courser A/T's now and they do a decent job but they are now under half tread and are starting to want to break loose in wet weather a lot more so i figure it is about time to get a winter set and save the Mastercrafts for next summer.
  19. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

i bought a set of goodyear dura tracs. They are the nicest set of tires i have ever bought. The are aggresive but the make no road noise, and they are the nice riding tires to. i would recommend them to anyone
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  20. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Any Pictures of those tires ????