1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Mang1, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

I'm looking for the best 245/75/16 8 or 10 ply tires to put on my 1995 chevy 2500. I don't want to go any bigger because of the gas mileage. Any suggestions?

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I run these on everything of mine.

[​IMG]

3. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

reasonably priced?

4. cretebaby

~$700 a set.

5. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

lookin for somethin maybe a little cheaper

6. cretebaby

But you said

LOL

7. Mang1

Mang1 Junior Member
    from NY

lol yea i guess so

8. cretebaby

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

10. cretebaby

After further review it doesn't appear that I can get the BFG look alike tread in a 265 and the load rating I want.

So this looks like the next best thing.

[​IMG]

If I where to get these I think the walnut shell would be worth the money. Don't you?

11. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I put Hankook RF10s on my chevy dually this spring. I havent used them in the winter of plowing but according to the reviews they are really good in the snow and ice. I will be putting a set on my 03 ford and my 99 so i hope they are good.

The ones on my chevy are a 225 something/16 and they were only $125 a tire.

I attached a pic, its kinda hard to tell but the tread depth is pretty deep.

Chevy paint chevy 019.JPG

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely!

13. hdelectraglide

hdelectraglide Member

Im looking at a goodyear duratrac its a 10ply

14. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I had cooper atr's and wrangler rts, and by far the best ones i have now are Chaparral a/p...Have been very very good in deep snow and not too loud on pavement..paid 550.00 installed

15. For sale
    I love these Cooper Discover M&Snows 235/85-16
    two winter plowing seasons and we are buying new tires for all of the plows this year so I am going
    to offer these.
    Plenty of tread as we usually either switch mounted summer tires or have other trucks to drive in
    warm weather

Pictures available
    Probably half price + UPS , negociable
    tc

16. sltboss02

sltboss02 Junior Member

hankook dynapro rfo4 is a great tire for snow have had them on 4 of my plow trucks they hook real good. this is an old post but if you haven't bought tires yet i know a guy that has a set of the firestone AT's that are brand new that he is lookin to get like $400 out of. they got put on and he took them off to put on bfg's. 245/75/16

17. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Senior Member

I have had really good results with treadwright tires. I would say the walnut shell is a good investment - the walnut shells are designed to fall out leaving pockets for extra traction. They are even adding crushed glass to the compound for extra traction.

Last winter i pulled a one ton dump loaded with salt that was almost on it's side out of a ditch using my 3/4 ton Ford and if it wasn't for the traction of my tires, I wouldn't have been able to get him out.

18. sltboss02

sltboss02 Junior Member

thanks for the info

19. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I like to go to tirerack.com and read reviews, lots of good info there

20. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

I had a set of firestone transforce on my f-250 and my 06 gmc...Awesome treadlife!! I wanted something different this year dso I got a set of TOYO OPEN COUNTRY A/T...So far I love them...Great looking and excellent traction...No roadnoise either