1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John P, Jan 7, 2003.

1. John P

John P Junior Member

I posted an earlier question about any sources for the old hard rubber, deep lugged style snow tires of yesterday. My '72 J4000 had Uniroyals up front and Dunlops in the back. 7.00 X 15. Tires still had about 1" deep should lugs lugs, but the sidewalls were rotting out.

I finally had to replace them. sprung a leak in a tube up front. Found that the sidewall was so rotted that I coul reach in and touch the tube. Tire place had nothing similar and of course, murphy's law prevails, all new tires are a different size (outside diameter), so I did not dare replace only the fronts. Now running (4) Cooper Discoverer's 235 75R 15's. So far, I love em. actually better grip than the old tires, but not as stout (old were 6 ply's). Much softer rubber and I gurantee that come wood cutting time, I will put a hole in one.

Any other thoughts on the coopers?

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn Member

I had Cooper Discover's on a Bronco many years ago ... they were a decent snow tire, or for off-road, but not a tire I would leave on all season long. Sounds like you got load range D tires ... if you want a stronger and tougher tire, I would suggest looking into load range E.

3. John P

John P Junior Member

unfortunately, being middle of the season, my tire guy only has a very limited selection. At least the tires are the M/S variety, actually a load range C, not my choice, especially with a 3/4 ton. But they will get me through the winter, then I might start looking for something beefier. The good thing is the tires will fit my
    Explorer
    Wrangler
    Dodge W150
    So they will be used.

4. BASIC

BASIC Member

Hi guys,for future use you might take a look at B.F.Goodrich Commercial Traction T/A Tires.Their a cross between an all-terrain(middle) and a mud tread(outside).Severe Weather Rated,heavily siped,studable,reasonably priced and avalible at BJ's Wholesale as well as your tire dealer.They come in a 235-85-16E and other sizes.The only caveat is,I haven't plowed with them but have driven alot in the snow.I hope this is of some help,BASIC.