1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by rwepler, Feb 5, 2009.

1. rwepler

rwepler Junior Member
    from ohio

I have a 2007 1500 Big Horn with 20" tires. I have a set of 16" rims from a 97 Ram. I'd like to put the 16" rims on the 2007 for the winter seasons. Would they fit, I only want them on for about 4 months.

2. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

They will work but you might have a speed/odometer difference. Get both tire sizes go to a tire web site (discount tire) find the tire calculater and plug the tire sizes in and it will tell you the difference in the two and how much if any how it will affect the speed/odometer.

3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

Your a Clown... at least know what your talking about when you open your mouth

both the big horn and power wagon use the bigger rotors and brakes so no they will not The front needs at least a 17 inch wheel to clear the rotor/brakes.

4. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I think if you want to change them out. You have to get a hold of a set of 17's off a newer truck to make it work. i agree with getting rid of 20's the tires wouldnt be best for plowing

5. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Check your facts on that one. I could be wrong but I have 16' rims on my 05' 1500 Big Horn. All the "Big Horn" package is is a leather wrapped steering wheel and fog lights. 07's may be different but my 06' 2500 big horn has the same rotors as a "regular" 2500.

Also, never heard of a 1500 Power Wagon. Never new the Wagon came with bigger brakes, thought it was a suspension package, winch, lockers and tires

EDIT: I just did some checking and the 94-02 1500's Rams have a 13.39" rotor and the 03-08 1500's have 13.9" rotors. No difference in the Big Horn rotors, didnt check the power wagons since we are not talking about a 2500

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. DODGEing

DODGEing Member

RODHALL. Becareful throwing stones living in A glass house....Its A forum the guy wants answers to questions not you (DODGE GURU and master ASE certified tec LOL) talking sh^t. If you have an answer or input share it as with the insults don't let your alligator mouth override your hummingbird azz. If im wrong then im wrong thats why its A discussion forum but you could prove it with intelligent info other than because YOU said so with all those impressive stats in your signature that make you soo believable.

7. M1N1TRK

M1N1TRK Member

Well it dosen't really matter what size the "rotors" are since the CALIPER sticks out farther then the rotor.

I have a 2004 dodge 2500 with stock 17" tires. I tried to put my fathers 16" rims from his 97 2500 and they did not fit.

Remember that the wheel is measured from the lip of the rim. the inside diameters of the rims are going to be different for all rims that say they are 16"

Just try putting a rim on the front and checking to see if they fit. Thats how i did it and found out that the smallest I can go is 17"

8. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Lets answer this peice by peice.

1.) If you have the 16s, bolt one up front and rear and see if they clear your brakes. Pretty simply if you ask me. If that is the case, 285/75/16s would be your tire to mount on the 16s. Problem is they are actually wider then the 275s on your 20s. Also major benefit is probably less unsprung weight, and Load E rated tires.

2) You have the Big Horn 20s which I beleive are 33" Tires (something like 275/60/20 or something correct?) If thats the case, then you will have to get something roughly 275 wide as this tire regardless. Only thing your selection will probably allow for Off/On Road Traction tires in Load E ratings.

3) Because of whats said above, you have the following options in different sized wheels if you want to maintain the same 33" sized tires so you have no ill effects on Speedo/Odo/ABS/Traction Control, etc:

285/75/16 - Load E
    285/70/17 - Load D
    275/70/18 - Load E

4) Because the Bolt Patterns are the same on newer Dakotas/Durango and the Rams from Like Mid 90s on, you shouldn't have an issue with finding wheels. If it were me, I'd probably look for the 18s as they are easily available in 18x8 from the Dakota/Durangos/Rams for less then $250 a set plus S&H.

5) Once you have done all this all you've really done is upgraded from a wheel/tire combo that is about the same weight/tire combo as your OEM but you now have the option of finding a Load E tire. Why not swap your existing tires out for something on/off road designed for Severe Weather like the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor in 275/60/20s.

Just my opinion, but for plowing trucks, the Rams with the 17s are the better option because 265/70/17s can be swapped out for 245/75/17 Load E tires on the same wheels and make awesome plow trucks with tons of bite.

9. rjnjr1019

rjnjr1019 Senior Member

I have the 20s on my ram and I ow snow,I ws really worried about plowing with this size tire because of all the comments Ireceived on these boards, I must say that I have not had any problems with the tires at all. Most snowfall at once this year was about 10 inches at once and went right thru it no problems. I will however look for a tire with a bit more bite when its time to change them out.