1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chief Plow, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but here goes...On my new f 250, and f 350, they came with those stupid general highway type tires. Anyone got a replacement tire they prefer? On my old trucks I allways ran town and country snows. Can I get them in 16", I've never seen them...
    Rick

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I my self like the Bfg Goodrich AT Ko's
    the 285's also look great on the Fords
    this place has then preaty cheap
    http://www.1010tires.com/

3. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

BFG AT/KO's

I have to second the motion for the BFG AT/KO's

I have no fault to give these tires......maybe $$$,

but, you get what you pay for.

Boss

4. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I m a bad bad man, my tires (general ameritrac suv) work good VERY good but I am overloading them a bit :)
    would be good on a jeep or small pickup/suv hence the name i guess

5. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I always use re-treads. Cheap and last WAY longer that a new tire.

6. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

I just put a set of Dunlop radial rover RT's on. I am impressed with the traction that these tires give.

7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Bfg all terrains work great. I use Interco Trxus mud-terrains myself. Best tire I've found for winter.

99SDPSD- landscaper not a lawnmower? Does that mean you have a broken back instead of green shoes. He he. just wondering.

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Cooper Discoverer S/T
    used to have the CTD's but they stopped making them.
    I also ran the A/T's but they wore out a bit quick for me.
    The S/T are supposed to last as long as the CTD's.
    Time will tell, but the traction is excellent.
    Dino

9. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Gents,
    Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. I will let you know what I get, I am going to get them later this week
    Rick

10. Icefisher

Icefisher Junior Member
    from Pa

Acorn
    Do you use Bandag Retreads?
    I've used Bandag Brawney RV Great Traction &
    Last long time If you havent used Bandags You
    should give then a try. last set I got 48K out of them
    and constantly ran very heavy loads on a 1 ton Chevy

Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  11. Acorn

Acorn Senior Member

I'm not sure... I brought in the casings (a set of old goodyears) and I got the retreads put on them. They referred to is as a "gripper treat". The tread depth is about 1". They are pretty loud on open bare highway. They last forever. I had a previous set last 4 years of plowing and landscaping work. Actually it was the sidewalls (casings) and not the tread that wore out. Still had 1/2" on tread. Don't know if they are bagdad. Local company makes the retreads. I got them for $80 CAN each installed.

12. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

i wore my 2001 stock generals a/s down after 48,000 miles this year, and ended up getting the bf goodrich at ko in a 285 75 16.

i have a few thousand miles on them now and am very pleased. recently during the 8" snow storm i had to run my truck down the sloppy roads and it ran great in 2wd. i use a company truck for plowing, so i can't say how they handle with a plow.

costco ordered them for 167 out the door, cheapest i found.

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Im running Bridgestone Dueler M/T's for the second season now. wear pretty well, i have about 15k or so on them, and they see to be great in all terrains, mud, snow, rain, and road. got them for about 135 ea. at the TireRack

14. Icefisher

Icefisher Junior Member
    from Pa

Local tire service

Well everybody has their favorite brand/tread pattern etc
    and I have seen a couple guys post web sites for buying tires
    hey great to price shop.
    I deal with a local tire shop whos prices are fair to good
    but where the real advantage is when I have a cut tire at
    3:30 am hows the guy from the web site gonna help?
    I just bought 4 for my wifes car I paid $8.00 more (total bill)
    than Wal-Mart charges for the same tire. and when I cant be around she knows to call the tire shop they will come put spare on and shes on her way..
    Stop in his shop later replaces repaired tire. pay bill
    and I am a good customer never any
    service call charges..
    also he has opened up for me at 6 PM on Sunday
    Your local Tire dealer will appreciate your business a whole
    lot more than wal-mart or an on-line site

15. Tim C

Tim C Member

I did a search When I was looking!!!

My 5 and 1/2 cents......BFG all terr.,,TKO's Great tire. Got Good Deal At SEARS Auto Center 70$ per. oct. speacials. Loooooook For sales.

Good Luck :drinkup:

Tim C LET IT SNOW

16. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Its hard to deal with a local tire shop that didnt want to sell me the tires because they were not the size that they're computer recommended, i said "F*** this, im going somewhere that will sell me what I am looking for" Is a 265/75 too much to ask? My door jam says thats the size that came stock, but they wanted me to have a 235 or a 245, uh, excuse me, but no. What really gets me is that they had a new display of the bfg at and mt with 35's and 33's on the showroom.... figure that out. I did find a better shop about 20 miles away, they are great to deal with and friendly/ helpful as would could ever expect! thats my experience with Sears Auto center, not going there anymore.

17. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

I run a set of Goodyear MTR's work real well, They replaced a set of BFG's A/T KO's. I use 315/75R16 As Icefisher said a local tire store is better. If they have a repair warranty that is a good Idea too have that also. Shop around alot of stores match prices, I found a good price on the web they E-mailed me the quote and then I took that to local store and they bet the price. Also look at all of the local plow trucks around you to see what they are using on there trucks. hope this helps

18. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Ditto on the local tire shop. The guy who does my tires lives 3 miles from me, and he has changed tires for me in the middle of a snow storm. Truck is very hard to lift with 3K in the spreader. But he does large over the road truck and trailers, has the service trucks and equip to handle my little one ton.
    Which is why I also run Coopers, that is what he sells and runs on his trucks.
    Dino

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try these,they work

Cooper Discoverer M&S

They work,period.We used to use BFG's,which were a good all around tire,but sucked on sheer ice and slippery surfaces,most tires do.These new Coopers were made for ice.You would have to see one in person,they have several nifty little features which make it such a good snow and ice tire.Soft rubber,hundreds of sipes,large deep tread blocks and grooves,and even the grooves have little micro teeth in them.We have tried them this season,and will never go back to anything else.Drivers have raved about them,especially on sheer ice.No more getting stuck,sliding down hills etc.

Here is a link to the website http://www.coopertires.com/tire_cooper/ltsuv.asp?id=206

and here is a pic:

cooper ms.jpg

20. Tim C

Tim C Member

WYLDMAN

What was the price diff. BFT---- COOPER

Thanks Tim C