1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Aldergood, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Aldergood

Aldergood Junior Member

Hi all...I'm sure this had probably been covered somewhere on here but I am on my way out the door and don't have time to search right now... :)

What width and or type / brand of tires does everybody use?

I need to replace mine and am looking for a good set at a good price.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    BG

2. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

the "search" police will have a hay day with you, LOL!!!

BFG All-Terrains are what ive been using for years. a skinnier tire is better when driving thru snow, where as wider tire i believe is better for plowing snow. the more bitting edges/sipes you can get the better, especially when the air is very cold, that when you plow the snow off the pavement and the cold air hits that slime left behind, bingo you have instant ice. makes for interesting back ups. there are alot of good tires out there but this is what works best for me.

3. Tim C

Tim C Member

Tires of choice

I did a search and was hooked on bfg. all terr. k/o.. got a good deal at sears tire center approx. 70$ per tire. Good luck....

Tim C :drinkup:

4. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I use bf goodrich commerical T/A- Traction just during those plowing months

5. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I too love the BF Goodrich all terrains. However, I can tell you what size NOT to get. They are the 33x12.50x16.50. They mount onto my older Ford F-250s. These were with aftermarket rims so if your running stockers you should be fine.

Aparently there was some kind of problem with these tires, that had dealers putting the wrong size tires on the wrong rims causing problems. IE stretching a 16 inch tire over a 16.5 rim.
    Firestone no longer makes the size, and my BF Goodrich dealer tells me there is a nationwide backorder on them with no solid shipping date. Was able to get them through a local "Speed shop" at a $35.00 premium per tire, but this will be the last set I run at $ 150 some a tire.

Already shopping for new rims so when the set on my other truck gets thin, I can just get in stock tires.

CMerrick

6. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

I've been running BFG AT's in 33x12.5x16.5 on my dodge for last few years with no problems. I had 35x12.5x16.5 BFG's on my ford as well, no problems with them either. Currently down to 33x12.5x16.5's on the ford.

7. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i have had good results with cooper discoverer's, on my f-350.
    i ran bfg all terrain's on my old chevy k-20 and liked them too.

8. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

The best tire I ever used was a Firestone 23 Degree Radial. It wouldnt get stuck! It was a tall skinny tire that had giant lugs on them...(but they sang like the church chior, going down the road!)

I had good luck with the Michilen AT's that came with the 2001 Dodge Ram. last year i replaced them with a diferent tire but never got a good chance to try them..

My 2003 Ram came with Uniroyals .... So we will give them a try this year.

9. jkkalbers

jkkalbers Senior Member

I've been running Good Year Wrangler ATS 285/75r16 on 3 of my newer f350's. All my other trucks except one run's Good Year Wrangler 235/85 r16 on them, mainly because of the load range. My one other truck, which is also my oldest run BF Goodrich at's I'm sure it is partly the truck they're on but I think the Good Years are much better.

10. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Goodyear Workhorse M/S studded 235/85/16,good traction decent wear,thats whats on there now but one that suprised me in the past was a set of no name "Bronco" tires i picked up at what used to be Central Tractor,4/$300 on sale,also 235/85/16,awesome traction and real decent mileage a little loud but not to obscene!

11. Aldergood

Aldergood Junior Member

Thanks for all the quick responses guys ! I have only been here for a short time but I knew I could count on this crowd to give lots of quick input.

I wondered what the arguments for and against skinny tires would be, at the company I used to plow for all the trucks had really skinny ones and they seemed to work very well but I wondered if there was a different line of thinking now adays.

Again thanks for the help

BG

12. WHITE=GREEN

WHITE=GREEN Senior Member

i think the line of thinking nowadays is the same as it always was. a skinnier tire is better when driving THRU snow or mud due to the greater pounds per square inch theory. you want the tire to sink down to a solid surface. on the other hand if your plowing a parking lot and your obviuosly driving over the surface that you just plowed (clean pavement) i think a wider tire with more bitting edges is the best. there have been several storms i can think of off hand that my buddies with skinnier tires complained that they were slippin and a slidin all over when i had no trouble at all. i guess its up to each individual to decide, "do i want to have the best traction going to and from my jobs?" or " do i want to have the best traction while im at my jobs plowing and maximize my productivity?" for me i want to have the best traction while in the act of plowing. much less wear and tear on your equipment for sure. plus on todays big trucks a larger, meatier tire looks better anyway. thats one thing i cant stand is seeing a 3/4 or 1 ton truck with factory (doughnut looking) tires that look like they should be on a geo metro.

13. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Well I got some of those 16.5's on my old Ford. The BFG's seem ok to me. What was all the problem with them? I went to my local discount tire searching for new tires...woah what a price! I am looking at paying something like $800 for new tires mounted and balanced. I was at one of those retread websites I found in a truck mag, $325 with shipping! Now that is more like it although I am not too hip on retreads. Well I only plow with my rig so they cant be too bad?

Anyone got any recommendations on 16.5 tires? Can be 31's or 33's doesn't matter to me.

14. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I've used Bridgestone Dueller AT's on S-10 and Sonoma. Just got 6 new Duellers for the 3500 dump. I went with load range E to keep the front tires from bulging with the plow. I'll only run these in the winter.

Anyone else run Duellers? Thoughts?

15. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Let me clear up the confusion on the 33x12.5x16.5 tire situation. I have never had a problem with these tires. The problem is that they are becoming extinct. Some manufactures are no longer making them as in the case of Firestone, as I stated earlier. BFGoodrich is supposed to make some to fill the nationwide backorder that exists, but my dealer could not give me a shipping date. And I had already waited a month.

The problem isnt one of the tires size but apparently was the size of the rim. Some tire dealers were mounting the 16.5 tires onto 16 inch rims, which would give a loose fit and eventually a tire failure.

I went to several dealers and to quote one.

Your looking for the dinosaur of tires. There relics and we cant get them.

16. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I think the real issue was due to lack of tire sizes, people were trying to stretch a 16 on a 16.5 rim.
    If it was me, I would find a set of 16" steel takeoffs, and then you are all set. Same bolt pattern.
    Dino

17. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't know if it's location, but here 16.5's aren't hard to come by. Just bought a set for my F250. Many brands and sizes in 16.5 in stock.

A buddy of mine was looking to go from 16.5's down to a 16, he had concerns about availability. He started pricing tires, and the 16" metric equivalent of a 33x12.5x16 was much pricier. He is now going to stick with the 16.5's. I see no shortage of 16.5's in the future either. Open any 4x4 mag, check out the wide selection of 16.5's. Many styles and sizes, and cheaper than 16's.

Perhaps it's just where I live, maybe other places they are harder to find on the shelf.

18. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Tried the wranglers, they worked great. Tried Perreli AT's they didnt seem worth carrying home, slipped all over.

I'm on Firestone AT's now... Jurry is still out.

19. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I agree with Sno about the Perelli Scorpion AT, I won't be buying them again, They were very expensive and I don't think they are worth the money. Traction is not that great on snow, or wet roads.I think they are only going to last half as long as my cheaper B F Goodrich Long Trail T/A's. Maybe the Scopion AT's are good for off-road/mud/gravel but not for what I want them for. Next set I'm will be sticking to B F Goodrich All-Terrians or Long Trail T/A.

Razor

20. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

cooper discover on 3 trucks, cooper mud & snow on dump. that pretty much says it all