1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by padec21, Nov 8, 2008.

1. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

Just curious what everyone uses. My truck currently has Nokian Hakkapilitta . I never heard of them but some people tell me they are very good. Any thoughts on them?
  2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

haha never heard of those...bf goodriches are what we use
  3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Those are very good tires. I have them on my VW TDI
  4. country_boy

country_boy Junior Member

bfg all terrains on dodge and chevy, nitto terragrapplers on my ford, never had a probablem with either. they just wear fast but awesome traction on both,. i get about 50,000 miles out of both of them. so i replace them once a year for me.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper Discoverer M+S
  6. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Nokian tires aren't good...they're great! I don't run the Hakkapeliitta, I have the Vatiiva instead. Best tires I've ever had but they're very expensive compared to the main stream brands like BFG, Goodyear, ect.. Rotate them often, maintain air pressure and they'll last you a long time.
  7. DuallySnoPusher

DuallySnoPusher Senior Member

i just got 6 new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor. They ride nice on dry and wet pavement but haven't had them in the snow yet.
  8. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

BFG All Terrain's
  9. Ford445

Ford445 Senior Member
    from Vermont

Great winter tires........
  10. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

BFG commercial TA Traction

I haven't had them in any snow yet, but after reading a bunch of reviews on deep snow performance they look better than the KO's.

11. GMCjim

GMCjim Junior Member
    from Idaho

I love my BFGs, but last year I had the Nokian Hakkapelitas on my work vehicle. They are excellent in the snow and ice. I use the BFG M/Ts in the deeper snow and the ATs on the ice and hard pack for my personal vehicles. The Nokian tires are good on the ice and hard pack, but they would not work well in the deep snow. The Nokians are soft and would also not wear well on pavement.
  12. F250 Boss v

F250 Boss v Senior Member

Green Diamond Icelanders, check them out!

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Bridgestone Dueller AT's I like them, but always looking for something better. I wish Firestone would bring back the Steelteck, I got 85,000mi out of a set. Replaced them with the Transforce only got 49,000mi out of them.
  14. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

BJ's is having a sale on these this month. I just bought 4 (235/85-16) for $150 a piece including mounting, balancing, and a 'road warranty'.

The treads are HUGE!! VERY deep. They look like they will last forever.

I bought the Dueller AT Revo's. Make sur eyou get the Revo's cause they are the ones that are good in snow.

They're great tires. Very good in the snow, and they drive very well on dry pavement, they give good steering response and don't give you the floating feeling. The only gripe i have is that they're pretty soft and wore quickly.
  15. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

Pro comp At's for me. one of the best tires i have had in the snow

(1) 50,000 Mile Street Tough Warranty -
    Severe Weather Rating
    Pro Comp’s Advantage - Advanced tread technology
    stomps the competition. Only the Pro Comp All Terrain
    has a 50,000 mile warranty and a Severe Weather rating.

(2) Dualguard™ Polyester Body
    Polyester Body Plies consist of thick 2 ply polyester
    construction combined with a blend of dual side wall
    rubber allowing for maximum puncture resistance
    with total flexibility when using lower air pressure
    off-road without excessive heat build up.

(3) Elliptical Siping Pattern
    Pro Comp’s Advantage - Deep siping runs throughout
    the tread and interlocking shoulder lugs provide extra
    biting edges for excellent all weather traction.
    Tread pattern also allows for superior gripping power
    in snow conditions allowing the Pro Comp All Terrain to
    have its Severe Weather Rating. Only the Pro Comp
    All Terrain has this feature.

(4) Dual Radius Tread Arc
    Pro Comp’s Advantage - The dual radius tread arc
    increases the tread contact patch for greater traction,
    maximizing treadwear and smooth even wear throughout
    the tread life. 50,000 mile warranty.
    (5) 50 Degree Triple Center Lug Design
    Pro Comp’s Advantage - Open high-void, all terrain,
    50 degree interlocking center treads provide
    excellent traction in dirt, sand and snow while
    maximizing wear and performance.
  16. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

Funny Thing, I just posted this on another thread:

I have been happy with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. They have a 50k Mileage Warranty, I use them year round, and they also have the Severe Snow & Ice Mountain Logo that Snow and Winter Tires receive.

I plow mostly in 2wd, and they feel almost as good as Snow Tires IMO.

It seems to me the best bang for the buck if you will be using this all year around. I always get the Load E Pro Grade because with the plow or towing, it does make a difference.

Then again I only have a Dodge Dakota Quad Cab V8, so Its not a full size truck.
  17. deckboys

deckboys Senior Member

bfg all-terrain 285-75-r16
  18. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

The Nokian tires are awesome. Haven't used them on truck yet, but the best snow i've ever used on my car!! I'm sure they will be good just as long as they arn't worn close to the wear bars.

Oh, what are they rated? Load range? Hopefully the tire size starts with a "LT" and not a "P".
    If it's a "P" the get some new tires, prefereably load range D or E.
  19. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Just bought a set of MasterCraft Glacier Grippers for my Jeep. I got them at a hell of a price and they look like they will do me good in the winter. I have a second set of tires and rims for my Jeep in the summer.
  20. padec21

padec21 Member
    from ct

Not sure how old the tires are. The truck only has 50k on it. The tires look like maybe they have half tread maybe a little more. I can say this. They absolutley suck off road. I went up to the Apple orchard on Sunday to get some free fire wood. I couldnt even make it 3 truck lengths into the orchard. All tires packed up quick and I was just spinning.
    My last truck had Pro Comp Xterrains. Fantastic tire. Unbelievable in snow, deep sno, mud deep mud, anything you can thik of. Relatively quiet at first but once worn down boy did they get noisy. They were directional so rotating was a pain also.
    I had 40k on them with a tleat 1/2" of tread when I got rid of old truck. I want to try the Pro Comp ATs next or the Pro Comp Xtreme AT.