1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Jul 18, 2002.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

When i bought my 2002 Chevrolet 2500HD i made a bad decision and went with the the road tires that are classified as mud and snow, but dont have enough bite. I shoudve gotten the lugged off road tires they offer. Well, anyway, winter is approaching and im going to replace them a little early, and i was wondering if anybody had some recommendations. id like to jump up a size or two and i would like something more aggressive than the tires i have now. any suggestions?
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

try BF goodrich Commercial T/A traction . I saw It at BJ's for 109.99 it seamed to have an agresive tread.
  3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

I did the same thing. I p[lowed with them last winter though they worked good, considering how many tests they had. On my other trucks I have/ had tires similiar to BF goodrich all terrians, got them from Pepboys around $ 100 ea installed. Go with narrower tires bite much better when plowing, wider you'll get stuck. Good luck.
  4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would wait and try them the big mud tires with wide tread won't get nearly as much traction.
  5. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

.... when your plowing you slip on the ice patches and that is why you loose the traction not the large puffy stuff
  6. mdb landscaping

I think i should clarify some more. Im not looking for mudders or anything. Im just looking for a size or so bigger, cause the stock chevy tires are too small in my opinion, and im looking for something with a little more aggressive of a tread. im looking for 265/75 r16 load range e size tires. I was just wondering if somebody had a good web site or link or input on that size tires and some good brands i should consider. i dont really want to go wider, but just get a little more aggressive of a tread.
  7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Let me know if you want to get rid of the ones you have on the truck now.
  8. mdb landscaping

ok bill. i only have 15,000 miles on them, i will let you know when i find a pair to put on.
  9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Too small for what? Engineers get paid a lot of money to determine what size tires to install. Sam's or BJ's won't install anything but OEM sizes on your vehicle, you'd have to mount oversized tires yourself.

I've run General M/Ts with great success for plowing, very aggressive tread, but will make some noise. I run A/Ts in the summer and M/Ts for winter. Works for me.
  10. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Why not run your factory tires as summer tires and save the winter skins for plowing? We swap our tires out after the snow plow season - gives a chance to get the front end aligned as well.

For the 2500 trucks we tried Bridgestone - we've had two different tread patterns, couldn't tell you what they are without looking at them (nither of them are here). One looked more like a road tire, but there was plenty of bite. The second set was chunky looking - I would not want to drive the truck on the freeway or 50 mph regularly - too loud. Both plowed well.

On our smaller trucks (r15) we've run Bridestone Duellers - been very happy with them. I know they're available in range D, but I don't know about E. I'd put 'em on a 1500 if I had one.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

12. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I just had a set of 285 75 16 Futura Dakotas put on my 95 k2500. load range D. ( i don't know what that means) They don't rub with a load or when turning. they look like they have good tread. a bit taller than stock. they ride nice too. I just hope it was a wize decision for winter plowing. But at least u know these sized tires should fit on your truck
  13. mdb landscaping

The dunlops look really good. My only concern would be downgrading to a load range D tire from the load range E tires i have now. Im not really even sure if that matters that much, but ill ask around and get some more input. keep the ideas coming. thanks for the help.
  14. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

You gotta be nuts to use a passenger (D range) tire for plowing. Unless you just plow for a hobby and could care less if the casing disintegrates on you the next time you're on the highway with the plow on and a load of salt in the back...

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

have had excellent results with bf goodrich all terrains, just bought a set of mud terrains so we will see how they work this season.
  16. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak Member

Furtura Dakotas are on my 99 K3500. Had them on a 85 K20 also great for plowing, load range E.
  17. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I never even thought of looking at the load range for my tires before I bought them. But then again the snow is so ify here. It really doesn't matter to me. But if I lived farther north, I'd be sure about load range and traction.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I agree 1000% with Pelican. The correct (AND SAFEST) thing to do is stay with the factory size and load range! I had a (former Government) 81 Dodge Power Ram 150 with 700X15 load range E tires. It went through the blizzards of 96 like I was on dry pavement. Tall and skinny....doesn't "float" on snow. I had TA's, great traction but noisy on the highway. I have the original Goodyear Wrangler RTS on my F150. For the snow we get in the NYC area they do me fine for 365 day use. I had them on the wife's Grand Cherokee but replaced them with regular Wranglers and I regret it. I should have stuck with the RTS or went to Michelins. I had Firestone Wilderness on my Bronco II until the recall. I was happy with them but they were cracking near the treads after 35,000 miles. The nice thing about buying tires from Costco (or the like) is when the recall hit I got a FULL REFUND. Not bad after using them for 35,000 miles. Keep in mind the ABS and other "speed sensitive" computers on your truck will always be programmed to the FACTORY TIRE SIZE! Good luck.

from NJ

I have not plowed with , but have driven in plenty of snow with my F250 and 33" BFG all terrains for the last 5 years, They wear great , have a high load range , and get great traction all around. They are also quiet ... The Mud Terrains are a bit louder on the high way , but offer a much more aggresive tread. Also look at the General Grabbers, very similar to the BFG's but a little more reasonbley priced.... Check out National Wheel and Tire.. They have a web site.... Great package deals so you can have winter and summer set ups with out mounting and remounting tires twice a year.....
  20. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I can tell you I had BFG Mud T/A's on my 77 Chevy, and they were horrible in the snow. They were 35" tall x 12.5' wide. I know wide tires suck, but I have 33" tall x 12.5" wide on my GMC (Cooper Discoverer) and that truck is a tank in the snow. I know wider is not better in the snow, but I guess the All Terrain pattern of the Coopers is what helps. More rubber in contact with the ground than the mud tires. Do a search here, lots of guys are running the Coopers. They just happen to be on the GMC when I bought it, and they were brand new. I didn't specifically buy them, but I would not hesitate to get another set when they wear out.

My brother ran the BFG A/T's for 5 years on his Dodge, and loved them. No traction problems at all.

That's my $0.02....