1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 90plow, Apr 28, 2002.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

i have a 95 GMC short bed 1500. It has the 305 in it and its a stripped model no Z71. it has BFgoodrich A/t's that are 265-16/70's i believe will check. I was wondering what size tire you guys think i could squeeze under the wells not a real aggresive tire. and also what kind of tire do you guys recomend the all terrains i have dont hold the road for crap.

thanks
    Eric

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

neeedd help please

3. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Well if you're looking for road manners, the firestone wilderness A/T's that came on my silverado work great. They wear slowly, handle long high speed runs well, and hold the road as well. Just don't plan on using them in any mud or snow, no matter what the sidewalls say. You should be able to run 285's with maybe a little rubbing, depending on how high your truck sits stock. There were several different torsion bars available I think.

Marcus

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I wouldnt go bigger than 265 tires,the problem is you have only a 305,and the taller tires will compound the low power,and it put additional load on the tranny especially when plowing.The only time I would put 285's on is if you have the 4.10 gears(not likely) it is code GT5 in the glove box build sheet.The 3.73,and especially the 3.42 are to tall with the 33" tires for good performance,the truck will hunt in OD,dropping to drive often,you will end up not being able to even use OD,since the 305 wont be able to pull it.The 285's will rub on the front end in hard turns,cranking the bars a few turns helps,but they still will rub without a body lift or spspension lift.