1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Feb 15, 2002.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'm due for some new tires and I 've been thinking about getting studded snows, but I"m not sure if it is worth it. Wanted to see what you guys were running and what your preferences are. I just went through my last set of tires in two years. I was hoping to get a little more out of them. Thought maybe if I did summer and winter tires I might be better off. So, what do you guys do?

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

This is the first year I'll be running winter and summer tires. I bought these tires(that are studdable) from tirerack.com and have been satisfied with their performance so far. Studding for me is kind of pointless since most of the lots here are paved and I really don't want to pay for any repaving :eek: . http://www.tirerack.com/tires/dunlop/du_rovrt.jsp

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I just put a set of Discoverer M&S on my 3500 DRW 4X4 and had all six studded. Before them, I had a set of LTs, but I was pretty upset that I wasn't getting the traction I expected. Now, I only lose traction on very steep, ice-covered driveways (see Alan's thread about his driveway). BTW, the last thing I did with the first LTs was sand that driveway. Started sliding as soon as I left the highway headed downhill. Had them put on - came back and did the same driveway. Seemed like I was driving a different truck. They'll be coming off for the summer, though (obviously as they're studded), and putting the other ones back on. My opinion is it's well worth the inconvenience of different tires for winter and summer when you consider the difference in performance.

The down side was putting out almost $800 for tires.:(

Last edited: Feb 15, 2002
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

snows

That is the thing, I don't really want to put out over half a grand for snow tires. Do you think you'll get more than two seasons out of the snow tires? And how long do you think you're summer tires will last now that you have winter tires? I'd hope at least three years out of the summer tires.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'd expect to get at least three seasons each - really hoping for five - I drive approx 300 miles a week on generally good pavement. The M&S tires should last longer comparably than if they were being run year round, since they're driven mostly on snow/ice - less wear than being on pavement. Then of course the summer tires will last longer since they're only used half of the year.

With tires, you basically get what you pay for. If you go for the cheaper ones trying to save money, they're not going to last as long. The other factor is how much weight are you going to be carrying? The more weight - the more plies you need (mine are ten ply).

What kind of vehicle/equipment do you have? Last I knew, I thought you were putting a straight plow on a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Bridgestone just came out with a version of their "Blizzak" tires for light trucks. I'm seriously tempted to pick up a set because one of the accounts we plow is a tire store that sells them. The manager gave me a terrific price on a set.

Otherwise, I've been extremely pleased with the Generals that came on my truck ('99 Chev 2500) from the factory. They don't seem to be wearing too quickly and they give above average traction in the snow and ice.

However... The tires I had on my previous truck were the absolute best set of tires I've ever had. Goodyear Wrangler ATS. Quiet on dry pavement, incredible traction on wet roads, snow, ice, mud, you name it. In the four years that I owned the truck I NEVER got stuck in either snow or mud. I don't remember what the load rating is on them, but they will easily work on a 3/4 ton with a plow.

Just my .02

7. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

We run studded tires not only on the plows but also our non-plow trucks/cars and have been since I was I was sixteen (only a few years ago...:) ). It does make a difference especially on ice. Even the Highway Patrol runs studs on their Broncos/Expeditions in our area. I have never damaged paving or concrete with studs. In fact, the chance of damage with studs is far less than with chains. When winter is over we switch to summer tires. We usually get 2 to 3 seasons out of them depending on the miles and the last set to go on the plow was a few months ago at about $530.00. It's the first time I had seen this type of tire, it has twice the number of studs. The owner of the tire shop said he only puts them on plows.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I run Mud and snows on my residential truck with good luck. I use the General Grabber M/T, a very aggressive tread. I install them late November and remove in late March and got 5 seasons from the last set. On my new truck I'm running the Firestone Steeltex A/T and so far, so good, although this has been a mild winter. When these wear out I'll probably go back to the Generals.

I don't care for studs, most of my accounts are blacktop and I don't want to scar them up. If we get extreme ice conditions, I'll run chains, the studs are too easy to spin and I can tell when the chains are starting to slip. I have my accounts sign off on the scratches they cause or they go to the end of the run.

Old man Kent, I think I remember you posting previously that you only intend to do a limited amount of plowing. If this is the case, you might be better off getting a good set of A/Ts to run year round. Mick is right, you get what you pay for. If you have a Sam's Club in your area, check them for tires, their prices are hard to beat.

9. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I have Remmigton (XT i think) on my truck. They're good tires, they're great in the snow exept that they handle like garbage on the highway when it's dry. i only keep them on in the winter though, i have American Racing rims with Firestones that I have on in the summer and in the winter I just put the stock rims with the Remmingtons on.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I have Remington 870 in mine.:D

11. c_maint

c_maint Member

i put cooper discover a/t on mine. they were the cheapest. i found that they are the best for snow. this tire is very soft and flexes so nothing can get packed into ths tread. they do suck for the summer time though. that's where i get the worst wear. at that point, i switch to bfg a/t

12. RB

RB Senior Member

This winter I bought 4 mud & snow recaps. They are real aggesssive and make a lot of noise when driving, but they were only $195 + tax installed. They told me as long I take them off at the end of the season I should be able to get 2 maybe 3 winters out of them. Plowed once with them and they seemed good. This is compared to the $400 for a good allseason tire.

Does anyone else use recaps?

Ron

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had planned to try caps this season on one truck, but the tire shop lost my casings. It was only going to save me $60 over new, but I figured I'd try it. $195 for 4 is a good price, what size tire is this?

14. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't know if this info is useful to you, but the welding truck I drive had recaps on when we bought it over 2 years ago. Had no problems with them and they're still on there with plenty of wear left, tire size is 215/85R16.

Obviously, I don't plow with it but it's done well crawling around some snowy/muddy job sites. Weighing in at about 10,000+ doesn't hurt either................................

15. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

I'm running Pirelli Scorpion A/T. I heard they are a top of the line tire but have not been overly impressed with them. The Pirelli's are not a bad tire I just feel they are way over priced. I didn't notice any great improvement in traction over the Good Year or the B.F. Goodrich tires that I had on the truck before. The next set I think I will stay with B.F. Goodrich. I payed $165.00 tax each for the Pirelli's.

Razor

16. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Razor,

I went from Goodyear Wrangler ATS to the pirelli scorpions a couple years ago on my 84 Bronco. This Bronco could go anywhere and I mean anywhere with out slipping a tire with a full tank of gas. That was with the Wranglers I had on it for about 5 years. I thought the same as you, the scorpions had real nice looking tread and I payed a bit more thinking I would get a bit more. My traction fell off by about 1/2, no kidding. I wasnt happy at all with them. I think they where a bit harder than the wranglers, I dont know. Thats what I always felt though. I noticed right away they rode harder. I remember the first little bit of snow we got right after I bought them, I slid right through an intersection.. Not a little bit but all the way through. I never did that before with the 5 year old wranglers or the general tires before that. ( ten years total ) I liked the generals the best but dont remember the type.

They are still on but I dont like them at all.

And thats all there is to that!

Sno

17. RidgeCon

RidgeCon Senior Member

We have 6 Dodge Ram 1500 and we run Sport Kings 285 75R 16's on them all, great traction, not too much road noise and good wear. Had BF All Terrains- too loud and too expensive