1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chefdrp, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Chefdrp

Chefdrp Member

What types of tires are you guys using? I need new ones and a dealer told me about Mastercraft coursers. How are they?

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Mastercraft sux. Do you want a designated winter tire, or a all year tire that wears pretty good and is good in the snow as well?

3. Chefdrp

Chefdrp Member

I want a very good tire to use on my truck to plow well

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive had real good luck with Cooper Discovery's but I heard they stopped making them,well at least the tread pattern I used to have on an older truck. The 06 F250 we just bought came with Perelli Scorpion's, they don't look like they would go through a 1" of snow but a friend of mine bought a 05 F250 that came with the same tires and he said they hooked up great.:dizzy: I'm going to try and find a set of the Cooper Discovery's though but no luck so far. Anyone ever hear of "Dean" tires.

5. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Well, if you want a good tire for winter, I suggest Bridgestone Blizzaks. They are excellent in the snow! I run a Pro Comp AT myself, but I won't go with a designated snow tire.

6. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Blizzaks

The first time I tryed the Blizzacks was In 90s...when they first came out,,, I put a set on a Jeep...that thing could stop on a dime.
    I have 8 ordered now for 2 trucks...w965 10 ply Bridgestone Blizzaks
    There sloggon Says that they stick to Ice.
    Pricey tire...but they are the best In my books.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  7. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus Junior Member
    from ohio

I was going to post the same thing. I'm looking for some 245 75 16 E tires with good grip with decent tread wear as i will leave them on year round. I'm trying to stay under $150/ tire.

I am considering BF Goodrich Commercial T/A Traction, BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A, and American Prospector.

I have heard good things about Coopers, and I know someone who is satisfied with American Prospectors. I had Mastercraft Coursers on a 2wd Ranger and they did decent with some weight in the back. The street tires i had on it wouldn't go anywhere. I know someone that had the Coursers on a 2wd Chevy and plowed with it. It did great with some weight. I drove it and sometimes you would have to just let the tires dig untill they hooked up with pavement. One tire on the Ranger had a deep slit that looked like it was coming apart. I thought it looked like a manufacturing defect but it could have been cut.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  8. PatrickCampbell

PatrickCampbell Junior Member

There is an overwhelming support for Cooper Discoverer M+S on www.************.com. They seem to come across as THE BEST snow/ice tires for light trucks.

Edit: Wow looks like I said a 4 letter word!!!

9. eng50

eng50 Senior Member

Try the same site and see what the reviews are saying about Bridgestone Revo's, they are awesome tires and come in all load ranges. Great all around tire with added plus of incredible wet/snow traction.

For what its worth thats my experience..

Bill

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I agree with Bill. The Bridgstone Dueller Revo's. I ran them last year and they workerd very very well. I didn't get stuck once! I'm buying another set this year for my Ford in fact! (As if a pair of tires could fix a Ford :rolleyes: )

11. Rowski

Rowski Senior Member

For an asymmetrical (directional) tire with load range E. I've found NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA LT is hard to beat. I run mine studded. They are very stable at speed too. Nokia also has an eco stud system which keep the stud in the tire longer.
    Nokian LT

Different tires are required for different conditions. These work well for me on my trucks.

[​IMG]

12. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

anyone running Toyo Open Country Mud Terrains?

A friend had a pair and said they worked great, but he didn't plow. They are load range E, look really agressive and ride smooth.

13. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I have the Cooper m&s on my Dodge, and they hook up well. Got mastercraft on my gmc, and no problems there. I will say that the BFG"S I did not like in the snow and ice. Think I mmight try the Blizzaks this year. JMO

14. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo's

They have pretty high snow ratings on tirerack.

15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

FWIW I think the Coopers are much better than the BFG's. The BFG's are way to over priced for thier mediorce performance.

16. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Go with American made tires

Gentlemen I respectfully submit any tires we need for plowing are made here in the USA.

Forget the Blizzaks, Toyos, Nippos, Hanook, Ho Cheeze, and Pusans.

Goodyear, Cooper, and most Goodrich will fill the bill. Even some Continentals are made down south.

Help be your Brothers keeper and spare me the macro economics lectures, please.

Another year at Plowsite...

David

17. TRUE TURF LAWN

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

i run goodyear MT/R thats what works for me.

18. jglandscaping

jglandscaping Senior Member

Cooper Discoverer ATR's on my 1/2 ton, great tire, show very little wear, Cooper M&S on my 3/4 ton and they were AMAZING in the snow but the tire wear was just plan crazy. It is a dedicated snow/mud tire and I got MAYBE 18,000 miles out of them and I am searching for a new set now, I am thinking either Bridgestone Dueler Revo, Cooper Discoverer ATR, Toyo Open country AT, or maybe a Michlin MTX M&S but am unsure right now. I wanted to go 285 and get E rated tires but they are only available in the BFG AT which I have ruled out because of some friends experiences with them and because of the price. Any suggestion also on my end would be great!
    Thanks
    James

19. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

I have had great luck with BFG ATs. Have about 40,000 on the set thats on my truck. The only reason they are getting switched out is my front end is out of alignment. Most of the tires have about half tread yet.

As far as price goes, just ordered a set of 265s for 580 mounted and balanced(tax included). Thats about 75 bucks cheaper then Cooper ATRs of the same size.

20. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

i use BF-Goodrich at's. they are a good all around tire, mud, snow,and they are road friendly.:salute: