1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by harborcovemgmt, Nov 13, 2005.

1. harborcovemgmt

harborcovemgmt Junior Member

Hi Everyone. I am new to this site and to plowing all together. My parents are property managers for a condo complex and through the past years have not been satisfied with the current plow company. So this year my dad went out and bought a 2006 f 250 with a western plow intending on getting the job done right and contracting himself to do it and having me be the driver. My question is that on the truck right now the tires are 265-70-17 Perreli Scorpions. Since this is our first year of plowing I brought up to him that maybe these tires are not the right ones for plowing. So I was wondering what you guys thought on what size tires we should buy strickly for the winter season of plowing.

Thanks A Lot

2. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

I owned a pair of Scorpions on a truck that I didn't plow with and they wore very quickly, but gave me great traction.
    I wouldn't hesitate to plow with them.
  3. harborcovemgmt

harborcovemgmt Junior Member

Any other thought to these tires
  4. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

I thought those tires were more for performance than work. I do remember seeing those on several new Fords and I thought why would they do that? I would check the ply of them also, not only the tread. I use only 10ply or Load range E on all of my plow trucks to support the weight of the plow and salter.
    Remember what Harry said in Days of Thunder: "Tires, Cole, mean everything."
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Come stock with them? I have heard reviews of the perrellies pretty good for an AT tire in the snow. That said. If you want a snow tire and run a different set in the summer(snow tires give the best traction in the snow regardless) then get a snow tire becasue they will provide the best traction. Most people get by fine with a deccent AT tire though. I ran some Dunlop radial rover RT's that did great in the snow for a AT tire. I am going to get a set of cooper M+S tires since they get rave reviews. Novaik or how ever the heck you spell it supposedly makes a good one too thats alot like the cooper(actually I think supposedly the cooper kinda copied them) I am going with the coopers becasue they are fairly inexpensive, get great reviews and are an american owned co.
  6. danno

danno Senior Member