1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by biggtruck, Nov 4, 2004.

1. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

Hey guys. Is anyone plowing with mud tires?? I know that all terrain tires are ideal but my dad runs a tire store and can get me a great deal on mud tires. I plowed with the all terrains and loved them,what can i expect from the mud tires.

2. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

Before every one yells to do a search,i did. Didnt find the kind of info i'm looking for. Thanks ahead of time.

3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have no first hand experience and look forward to seeing the other replies. However, most mud tires have large blocks of tread but not much in the way of sipes that give the many times more edges for traction on snow and ice.

Your dad can't get you a (maybe not great but..) deal on AT's?

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

ageree with wfd44

if u must use them see if you can have them siped. otherwise they will have poor traction on ice and hard pack snow.

5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

DodgeRam Tire Debacle

I'm kinda in the same boat except I have to buy my own tires. The big problem is that the Ram comes with 17" rims, and all the good tires are very expensive ($250+) or are load range C or less or NATIONAL BACKORDER! I hate the last one because in my old retail days that was a line we used if we just didn't have it and wanted an opportunity to sell'em something we did have.
    As for using muds, most are load C and you will be pushing the weight capacity, than if you start spinning and turn too sharp you risk blowing the tire or worse.
    If it was available the General Grabber AT2 looked like a great choice, BF K/O is always a winner, Goodyear Workhorse....
    Point is Muds are great but usually low load range and not as good on Ice, but they sure do dump the snow.
    Good luck, and I hope you can get 16" and not 17" its a hole different world.

grabber_at2.jpg

6. bnrhuffman

bnrhuffman Member

Mud terrains work well in powder and lightly packed snow. On ice and hard packed snow they suck. Sipes would help a lot but they still wont out drive a good AT on the real slick stuff. If you tend to get out on the roads before the rest of the world has had their coffee, the MTs will bust through drifts and fresh snow better than most ATs but you will have to drive a little slower and push a little faster for them to work on slick stuff. Just let some air out. It helps alot.

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I run 305/70/16 Buckshot Maxis Mudders load range D on my F250. I don't have any problems. I really like the mud grip style. I think that for overall use an AT tire is better because they last longer. Just my opinion. :waving:

8. dzines

dzines Junior Member

hey guys...last year I had OEM Bridgstone AT tires on my 2500 and they were ok for pushing, but in the spring they fell apart so I went to new 285 75X16's Bridgestone Dualler AT "Revo's".....They look like they would be great for pushing snow......does anybody run Revo's?? or know if they are any good??

Thanks

9. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

dzines,
    Are those the Duallers that look like real aggressive mudders??

10. I run BFGoodrich Commercial Traction tires. They were recommended to me by a mechanic at the HWY dept. Its the tires they have used on all the trucks around here for 5 years. He says that they are the best heavy duty tires they have ever run, And I have to definately agree with him :angel:

11. Please excuse me; the actual name on the tires is "Commercial T/A traction"

12. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have been thinking about getting a dedicated snow tire for plowing. there is even an E load rated snow tire on tire rack, but i am just not sure... any thoughts guys?

13. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cooper M&S. For a strictly dedicated snow tire. I've had mine on my 3500 for four seasons. Studded. They come off before April 1st and go back on just before Nov 1st. I've gone places that it was said couldn't be done.

14. biggtruck

biggtruck Junior Member

Thanks for the response.My dad can get me a deal because the are a weird size 33 12.50 16.5 and some one ordered them and never picked them up. I can pick them up for about half price,so unless i get any severely negative feedback i think i'm going to buy them.Oh yeah i also found out they are dunlop rover m/t's. Any opinions?

15. ztoro

ztoro Junior Member
    from NJ

I have a question. I have an F-250 with 315's(procomp xterrains) and plowed with them last year and had no problems. except that they stuck outside the wheel wells and just covered my truck with salt and road grit which in turn f'd up the paint(needs to be compounded).

The truck came with some pirelli's a regular stock tire from the ford dealership. Do you think I will be ok with the pirelli's. I want to avoid covering the truck again with road crap(i know I could put fender extenders but dont want to)

also by using the stock tires it will aloow the plow to be a little closr to the ground

here is a pick of the truck

f250lift.jpg

16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i plowed for years with 35" gumbo monster mudders
    on my 3/4 ton never had a problem.. payup

17. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

Ztoro, you'll be fine, I run 35's or 36's mosty of the time, but I often switch back to my stock 265's for various reasons. Not sure of the specifics of the pirelli, but I think you'll do fine.

For those looking for muds, I just picked up 6 hankook mud terrains for my new dually for $103 a piece. I got a pretty good deal on them, and they are load range e, and studdable.