1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fisher42, Aug 11, 2004.

1. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

hey, i was wondering what the best tires for snowplowing are. currently i'm looking at the goodyear wrangler mt/r. any suggestions?

2. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

Cooper Discoverer A/T's. Cheap and just as good as quality as other brands. They have great traction in anything, and wear like a brick. BF Goodrich All-Terrians are my other choice. Wear like a brick, and have amazing traction.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Agree with the Cooper Discoverer, but I'd recommend the M&S rather than the A/T's as the M&S are specific for this type of condition.

But they're not cheap - "you get what you pay for".

4. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

OK, well, A/T's are good for an all-terrain tire. If you drive year round, then A/T's might be a better bet. As for price, I got a set of 285/75/16's for $130 each. Not bad in my book.

5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

6. QMVA

QMVA Senior Member

Truckin compared BFGoodrich's A/T and M/T and said that the M/T are not very good on snow and that are only really better on extreme off-road and mud.

7. fisher42

fisher42 Banned

how are the goodyear wrangler mt/r's

8. black95gt

black95gt Junior Member

I was told the Wranglers are not good for plowing snow. That was the guy from the tire store. They are more expensive than the BFG's and he sold me the all-terrains and said they were the best snow tire. I put on 295/75/16's on my 2003 crew cab powerstroke!!

9. BreyerConstruct

BreyerConstruct Senior Member

Question on this topic,

I've got a diesel Dodge & it's heavy. Add some salt & balast in the bed, and a plow up front, and we've got some weight! So, what about load rated tires?
    I personally love BFG A/T's, great wear and traction. But I don't know if they are up to the year-round weight.
    BFG has a commercial terrain tire, but it's less agressive...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

10. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i was quoted 123+ tax for LT 235/85R/16 cooper discoverer M&S they will be going on my truck. from what i understand there good tires. stay away from all terrians there not what your looking for. if you dont want the cooper discoverer M&S find anouther that has the mountain and snow flake symbol they are the ones that are truely rated for snow. just becuase a tire says M&S doesnt make them a true snow tire. oh that 123 was for tires, balanced and mounted.

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

pretty sure you can get the bfg's in a e rated tire.

at's dont do as well in the snow as a deticated snow tire but if you cant handle running 2 seperate tires there are some at's that do close to a snow tire.

I am running dunlop radialrover rt's and they do really well. I hear the bfg's do well also for an at. the dunlops are snow rated or have the little mountain/snowflake on em.

If you alter your tire size you may run into better luck with tires in the right load range. the dunlops I have are only d range in 265's but if I go with another size I can get the e rating.