1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires?????

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigc1301, Dec 26, 2012.

1. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

I need new tires. I like the BF Goodrich All Terrain but they are on national back order, I also Looked at goodyear wrangler duratrac but I no experience with them. Just looking to see what other use and the pros cons to them. Im not limited to these to just two I found. I tow and plow plus its my everyday driver

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Look at General Grabber AT2.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

they cant make them fast enough . i got mine and they were still warm :laughing:

make sure they have the E weight rated stamped on them for trucks. some people dont know it , but you get less tread and plys with out an E rating . they make them for cars and suvs also .

B

35 psi (240 kPa)***

C

50 psi (350 kPa)***

D

65 psi (450 kPa)***

E

80 psi (550 kPa)***

F

95 psi (650 kPa)***

***Selected large LT sizes are designed with reduced maximum load pressures

4. 1bishop

1bishop Junior Member

So far the best snow tires I have ever used are the Contenental Extreme winter contact (triple tread) and most tests have rated them #1 as well Thumbs Up

5. agurdo17

agurdo17 Senior Member

i have a set of winter force studded snow on my 2500chevy. wear out fast but with 700ibs in bed it will push anything u can put in front of it. also will stop on steep icy driveways with cars at the bottom:dizzy:

6. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Anyone know how long the bfg Goodrich all terrians will be back order

7. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Discount Tire has them.

8. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

9. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I've always preferred a mud tire for plowing. I've run Super Swampers, Buckshot Radial Mudders, and currently run Fierce Attitude on my 98 Chevy and Goodyear MT/R (old style) on my 95 Chevy.

To the OP- I know two guys that swear by the new Goodyear Duratrac.

10. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I'll buy another set of dura tracs when mine wear out. I should be able to get close to 50,000 miles out of them.

11. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Thanks guys I think im gonna try Dura Tracs

12. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Check tread depot and discount tire direct. The last time I ordered tires, those two were the cheapest when shipping was added in.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Snow tires work great in the snow. Otherwise I suggest round tubeless pneumatic tyres.

14. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I have ran Cooper Discover M/S's for 4 yrs now and loved them except the price which was around $1k for each truck. This yr i got a smoken deal on General Altimax Artic's and so far i must say they have been a great tire, just as good if not better than the Coopers. Cost me $1300 for both trucks All of these are 265/16's E-rated.

15. yloflash

yloflash Junior Member

I had Cooper M/S for a while, worked good but wore out way too fast. This year I`m trying Bridgestone REVO Duelers

16. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

You made a good choice with the Duratrac's had mine for 2 years now best tire I have ran all around.

17. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

Thanks I am ordering them so we will see

18. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Not sure of the conditions you plow in or roads traveled but dedicated mud tires are not really suited for snow. I'm glad they work for you but a novice could get in some bad situations running the dedicated mud tires you mentioned in the winter. The biggest difference being the small "sipes" which look like razor slits in the lugs that really help on snow and ice. now I know some people will "sipe" a mud tire to help in the snow and ice but a dedicated mud tire is usually bad in snow and ice. There are combination tires like the Cooper M&S which do well in both conditions because its a slight compromise between the two conditions. Not trying to disrespect you or anything just trying to help newer people understand.

19. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

So, after i went to my tire guy, he did some checking and found me the BF Goodwrench. I just have to go from 275-65 -r20 to 285-65-r20. Tire rack had them instock

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Goodwrench tires on a Ferd?