1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bob ny, Dec 14, 2012.

1. bob ny

bob ny Junior Member

I just purchased a set of bridgestone blizzard tires for my truck. I bought bridgestone because
    the garage does all my front end and servicing for all my vehicles and my polaris came from there and when I have a problem they always have time for emergency work.Gtting back to the tires they seem to do the job in mud so i probably will not have any problems with snow, Te only fault I find is on dry pavement you can hardly hear the rasio playing. the hum is deafning. bob w.

2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

mud tires and snow tires are two very different things.

in snow, you want to sink to the bottom and make contact with the road surface.

in mud, you want to float along the top - if you sink, you are screwed.

just because a mud tires appears to have a more "aggressive" tread, absolutely does not mean it is better in the snow.

3. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

X2! Mud tires may say mud/snow and they do well in snow but the first time you get stuck and spin they will dig you to the bottom. Snow tires are designed to move away the snow in normal driving conditions and give you additional traction with all the siping. But when stuck a decent snow tire will not dig you to China in the first couple revolutions of the tire like a mud tire will. Aggressive is not always better.

4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

If you mean Bridgestone Blizzzak, they will do fine. They are snow tires.

5. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Most think their big wide 4x4ing tires will be what they want plowing its nice to see people here know what matters in snow.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

To elaborate on this:

The Rubber Manufacturers Association defines and regulates the tire categories/markings such as the M+S (Mud and Snow) marking commonly found on All Season and Winter tires and the mountain/snowflake symbol found on modern Winter tires.

The M+S marking itself is pretty worthless. It promises that the tread pattern has certain characteristics of its voids. Sure, you're likely to do better with a M+S rated All Season than the rare non-M+S rated All Season, but where are you even going to find one of those?

The mountain/snowflake symbol means a tire that's actually made and tested for improved traction in snow. These tend to have better tread designs, sipes, and softer compound. You can expect them to wear faster in the summer though.

Definition of M+S:
    http://www.rma.org/tire_care_info/t...tions for passenger and light truck tires.pdf
    Definition of Winter tire (officially called "tires designed for use in severe snow conditions") with mountain/snowflake symbol:
    http://www.rma.org/tire_care_info/t...k tires for use in severe snow conditions.pdf
    You can see both markings here:
    [​IMG]

7. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I agree with the above responses on snow tires vs mud tires. The only tire that I have found, thus far, to be a very very good tire that is not specifically designed for snow with the softer compounds is the Michelin MXS2. It is a M/S tire and is very good in snow and mud unless you are looking to do some serious off road mud bogging.

All that said, I have a set of Blizzaks that I use when we get the white stuff.

8. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Well said Thumbs Up

9. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Erp...meant to say I have the Michelin LTX MS2 tires....not MXS2. Sorry about that.