1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires !

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by COLONEL LANDSCAPING, Nov 3, 2003.

1. COLONEL LANDSCAPING

COLONEL LANDSCAPING Junior Member

ok.. its that time of year.. my tires were worn down and now are bald cause i had some fun and smoked em!! i was just wondering what everyone's favorite tires are to plow with on a 1998 dodge ram 1500 4x4 .... any one have any ideas? i need a good tire to plow with.

thank's for the help

2. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

First of all....WELCOME TO PLOWSITE!:)

second of all....try a search for tires. this has been covered numerous times. You get some great advice there.

3. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

COLONEL LANDSCAPING

I see your New here so Hi :waving:

but please use the search option as tires choices have many threads ;) already

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yea, this topic has been discussed in great detail a few times. I think alot of the guys who replied to that thread said they used Coopers. They were a very popular choice. There was even a picture of them in the thread to show which make of the Cooper it was. Welcome to PlowSite! :waving: Mike :)

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

BFG M/T's on the Dodge
    Pro-Comp M/T's on the Ford

Both are great. I prefer the Pro-Comp's

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Plow meister...glad too see you promoting our web site. Thank you.:D I have only been on this site since Feb. 2001, who am I to know anything... LOL :drinkup:

7. Clean Cut Lawns

Clean Cut Lawns Banned

tall and skinny you want to cut thou the snow not go over it

8. Plow Meister

IMO, tall and skinny applies mostly. I, however, prefer tall and fat with low pressure, just like for rocks and mud. In all the years I have been plowing I have never used pizza cutters for plowing but EVERYONE says it is the way to go. Knock on wood, I have never gotten myself into a mess I couldn't air down and get out of.

I hope to get a couple hits off your web site. I hope all is working well for you.

9. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

SMokin your tires is all well and good but........werent they hard to light?:D

Welcome to plowsite. :drinkup:

10. COLONEL LANDSCAPING

COLONEL LANDSCAPING Junior Member

hey thank's for the help...
    and no i didnt have a prob lightening the up.. just sit in one spot and sping for 30 secs... they'll light up pretty quick
    lol

11. 76chevyman

76chevyman Member

BF-Goodrich mud terrain km a real good tire for the snow and u want a narrow tire to not like 33s they suck no matter now agressive the tread is

12. Plow Meister

I still stand by my earlier reply. I have 33X12.5X16's on my Ford. With very little ballast in the truck, I still get great traction... Even in 2 wheel drive. The snow out here is mostly wet from Lake Michigan. Plus, I pre-salt which helps with traction.

I know I am probably one of the only people here that likes wider tires. I just don't see much of a difference.

13. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Plow meister....without starting the great debate :D Think of it like this. What is easier to get thru a 2" garden hose.... A bowling ball OR a 1/2" marble>>> How much mass ( area ) is making contact at the surface ? This is what has to make the path thru the snow. SO, the thinner the tire, the less mass is making contact at the surface as the tire goes around and around. Yikes !!!! my 2 sense :dizzy:

14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Plow Meister ---- Your not alone

Tall and skinny is what you want to drive thru the snow but once you drop the plow you want traction :waving: wide does work ;)

What you have to decide is how much driving you will do without the plow down as to how much plowing & make your choice.

I have plowed with both & still like the 11" to 12.5" footprint, when I was young (early 70's)I had 16" wide mudders & the did $uck driving in the snow big time :gunsfiring: of course it didn't help having a 427 BB with nitro & a Tranny shift kit :eek: & being a teenager