1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires?!?!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by 7.3powered, Oct 11, 2010.

1. 7.3powered

7.3powered Junior Member

What is a good plowing tire that lasts long, gets good grip in the winter and is still efficient on the road when its dry? I currently have BFG All Terrains although I'm told they recently changed the compound so they don't wear quite as well as the older ones used to.... and I also have some Mickey Thompson 33" tires on another set of wheels that grip tremendously, however I'm wondering whether they would add quite a bit of drag since they are wider and taller than your average tire? What do you guys use or recommend?

Thanks!!

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

small skinny tires will do the best in snow...i had great luck with bridgestone dueler at revos....not to be confused with the regular a/t s......

3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Stay with the BFGs or go and buy a separate set of rims.

4. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I like the BFGs also, an all around good tire

5. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

I havent had good luck with BFG. They didnt last 30k on our Chevy and that was with them being rotated every 5k. They sucked bad in the heavy snow we got last winter. So i switched to Goodyear wrangler silent armor pro grade.The goodyears did great in the snow. I now have 28k on them and they are about half tread. I am looking at the General grabber A/T 2 for our Dodge. Have heard nothing but good reviews about them and they cost less than the Goodyears so i will give them a try.

6. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I have heard the same things about the general grabber at 2's but no one has them in stock and they are backordered like crazy. The town fair tire near me said they have 400 of them on order and general NEVER makes enough of them. We got a set luckily for our jeep wrangler and they are AWESOME in all categories. The owner of town fair tire said they never even send them all they need.. he said he will probably get about 20 percent of how many he ordered.
    This really sucks because i went in to get some put on my truck and he said he can order some and i might get them in by late december/early january... Now im lost because those were also one of the cheaper sets..I have heard good about the bridgestone dueler at 2 revos and michelin all terrains..
    But basically if you can get the general grabbers i would deffinately get those because we love ours. best bang for the buck

7. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

My tire supplier told me he would grab 4 for me incase i wanted them. He said he would have to use 3 different warehouses to get a set of 4. So i guess they are a little hard to get ahold of.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I use round tubeless pneumatic tires.

9. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I second 2COR517 I don't like the square or oval ones.

10. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Dont waste your time with General Grabber AT 2's I got mine 2 October's ago, put about 23k on the truck and the tires were shot. I had them replaced under a tire warranty and the help of a friend who is the dealer's service manager. They were great at first but again, wearing down 12/32 in less than 23k ???? I had to fight tooth and nail to get them (General) to do anything. They are supposed to be a 60k tire. GoodYear makes a newer mud and snow tire, I dont remember the name but very aggressive tread, very soft compound which would be great in winter conditions. The only bad thing is the softer the compound the quicker it wears down. I've come to realize tires in this industry are good for about two years. My advise....buy a decent tire now and become friends with the sales person so he can give you discounts in a year or two,lol

11. msu1510

msu1510 Senior Member
    from MI

stick with the bfg's. I have 3 trucks with them and putting them on the new truck before winter sets in. They have always been a good tire for me. If you try to find a cheap tire you may end up with what you pay for.

12. toptech72

toptech72 Member
    from 21078

Well not to worried about becoming friends with a tire person. I am good friends with my tire supplier have done business with them for about 20 years now. They give us 8 tickets to the Dover race every year for free because of the amount of tires we sell. Like i said i will stay away from the BFGs. We use to sell alot of BFGs once, but try not to sell them anymore. They are not what they use to be. We stopped recommendeing them to our customes because of all the complaints we started getting a couple years ago. 70 % of the tire we sold were BFGs at 1 time, now its more like 5 %. MY ramcharger had BFGs and they didnt last. I still have a BFG off of our 04 Dodge that the belts in the tire buster at arounf 15k. If i only get 30 K out of the Generals then hey they last just as long as BFGs have for me and will cost me less. The 08 Dodge we have that needs tires has BFGs on it now with just over 30K on them and they are shot. Yes Goodyear has a couple of new aggresive tread tires out but they are all noisey tires. Hey the jeep gang aroung here likes them but the noise is not for me. From what i have seen over the past 10 years none of the tire manufactures stand behind their tires if they wear fast or you have a problem with the tire. Manufacture always use the line " the tires didnt last due to improper inflation,lack of rotation or a bad alignment" its never the tires fault. But yes if you deal with a good shop they will get your tires replaced or get you a good discount on your next set. But that is if they have a good relationship with their supplier. I will try the Generals and if i dont like them i will buy the Goodyear wrangler silent armor pro grades to replace them.

13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You should try Toyo Open Country, i have had them for 4 years now and they still look good, they do great in the snow and rain as well as when i tow. I hit something last year that went into the sidewall, my tire guy sent it back and toyo replaced it. And they are much cheaper than G/Y or BFG's

14. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Take a look at Tread Wright tires http://www.treadwright.com/ they are re-tread tires. but have had great results the past 4 yrs. Several different tread selections for your areas conditions. Also have found worth paying for the extra grip feature they offer. Never had a warranty claim-and avg 50/60,000 on the year round sets, I just got tried of the outrageous prices on tires!

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The square ones are good for plowing stairs.

My experience with the GG AT2s was similar, and the traction was terrible

16. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get real. Intertubed bias ply is where its at, foo.

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

18. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

I've also had some luck with the Mastercraft Courser AT's

19. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Here we are trying to find the best tire to buy so that we don't make the same mistake as others did.
    Some say that one brand is great. Others say that they are not. Then we have some that say they used to be good but they were changed and weren't any good now. Some want mileage, and some want traction. From my experience, you can't have it both ways. Soft means that the tire will grab onto anything and hard tires will spin easier, but they will last longer. I guess he trick is to get the tires that split the difference.

20. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Agreed I've got 2 summers on the Warden AT's with good wear so far.