1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires with dry rot cracks

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jasburrito, Nov 4, 2014.

1. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

I have always bought new tires for my cars and trucks at 650 to 1k. But now I am trying to be frugal with my on property only plow truck. Buddy is having good luck wit brand new old set bfg at with lots of cracks. Paid 200. And mounted himself. This is some hillbilly bird **** type stuff. I know. Anyways I just picked up 1 super beefy brand new old Armstrong formula at for 20 bucks.has some cracking on sidewall. Never used an old tire before. Can get mounted for 15. Any advise? Searching craigys for other new old beefy tires. Spare tires. Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Pass, and your only buying 1?

3. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Pics of first snowfall on the 1st. Thanks.

IMG_20141031_120426_616.jpg

4. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

A few years ago the tires on my blazer wouldn't pass safety inspection so I gave them to my buddy and he used them on his plow truck for years. My summer tires on my F250 are cracked also and won't pass inspection but I have four new studded snows that I put on when my inspection is due (and plow with for the winter)... Never had a bit of problem with the cracked summers over the past few years although if I was going to do any long distance driving I would probably replace them.

5. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Ya 1 at a time. Seems the best deal for tires is buying 1 random tire at a time. All are same size 265 75 16. Any new old at fits the bill. Spare tires. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  6. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Wow I'm amazed

7. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

No, I think even Bird may have a little more sense than to run dry rotted tires. If that wasn't dumb enough, you're grabbing random single ones and not even a set.

You are aware that even if they are all the same size they still vary from each manufacture, right? Plus the tread will all be worn differently. Your transfer case is going to hate you.

It amazes me, the things people try to save money on that are critical to safety. :rolleyes:

I sure hope this truck never leaves your property (although I'm sure it does), because when you have a blowout and hit someone, their insurance will run you through the ringer.

8. dieselss

Why. Just WHY....the amount has got to be pennies not dollars. If you've got to nickel and dime your equipment to get it to work, what happens when something major happens?

9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

$200.00 will get you less than 1/4" of tread, for $500.00 you can have a new set on the truck. http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fi...pc=15084&ar=75&rf=true&rd=16&rc=COBINT&cs=265
    The new tires will out last the truck and you can turn around and sell them to get some of the cost back.

10. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

OK thanks. Pic of 20 dollar tire. Never noticed an experation date on tire.

IMG_20141104_140144_257.jpg

11. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

So because there isn't an expiration date on a tire it's fine to run until it blows? The dry rot and cracks are about as clear as you can get for a sign that you shouldn't run it. I don't think you understand just how much pressure that cracked rubber holds. SMH

They do have a production date on them for what it's worth...

It's amazing when people use zero sense, do stupid things in the name of savings and endanger the rest of us.

12. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Actually I think BS is running, or was, dry rotted tires on his newer truck. He had them on when he put the truck in the ditch last year.

Some things that you should never be cheap on, tires are one of those things.

13. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh yeah, I kind of remember that now...so they're both idiots then.

14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Easy does it........ No need for childish name calling.:nono:

15. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

No many other descriptive terms are as accurate...

16. dieselss

There's tons...

17. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

This is true, although not really any are as "nice" as I'm attempting to be.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Ah come on.........sure there is, exercise the creative side of your brain.:laughing:

19. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

How about they suffer from rectal cranial immersion likely brought on by eating paint chips as children?

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Now that's creative.......Thumbs Up