1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires Used on YOUR rig?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekbroerse, Jul 31, 2004.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I'm just curious what tires people are using (and would or wouldn't recommend)?

Out of curiousity, what specifically are people using on duallys? Sizes?

I just replaced a stock sized set of Daytona Radial Stag's LT235/85R16 with a set of Kelly-Springfield Safari AWR M+S LT255/85R16's as in the picture. Obviously, I have no plow time on them yet, so I can't report. The Daytona's were hard as hockey pucks and while they wore forever, didn't grip worth a *****. To put the bigger tires on the rears, I needed to buy a set of 1.5" thick bolt-on wheel spacers (www.wheelspacer.com, talk to Fred Goeske).... as even the stock tires showed signs of rubbing each other under load.

I have heard that All-Terrain tires have trouble keeping in balance.

Also, a friend had a '96 Ram 3500 dually 4x4 and was very unsatisfied with hit BFG All Terrain T/A's for treadlife.

Any other feedback? Especially pertaining to the Kelly's I bought? (got a real good price on them so I grabbed them) Kelly-Springfield makes most of Goodyear's tires for them now. I wanted the taller tires to compensate for my 4.56 gears and (for now) lack of overdrive. They are supposed to be 33" tall but are about 1/2" short of that. So far, so good! (850km's)

kelly springfield safari awr.jpg

Well I can not help with the dually part of your question, I can help on the AWR. I have had them on a JEEP WRANGLER,CHEROKEE,GMC 1/2 TON. I plowed with the gmc they did great did not get stuck once. Really liked the tires on the other two as well. I am shopping now for tires for my 03 2500hd torn on what to get !! Any suggestions I was looking at the awr but they said at the shop no load range E.
  3. derekbroerse

4. derekbroerse

So far my only complaint about the AWR's is that they are only good for 65psi and feel a little 'wallowy' on large highway speed curves while towing. Obviously some of that is the increased sidewall height as well... definately a much improved ride though, so it is a tradeoff.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

im switching from 31x10.50x15 dunlop at to bf goodrich mud terrians
  6. derekbroerse

I strongly considered the Mud Terrain T/A's from BFG.... but was told repeatedly that while they are good (due to their coarse nature) in snow, that because they lack the siping (the tiny slots) that they are absolutely horrendous on ice and hardpack... both of which we will without a doubt encounter daily in our field.

This recommendation came from two separate dealers, so I chose to take their advice.... even though I much preferred the look of the BFG and that it was even taller per size (due to deeper tread) than the AWR's (which are over 1/2" deep!)

On another note, I drove my friend's raised 4x4 '91 Jimmy (full size) for approxiately a month. It had 35" BFG Mud Terrains... had a bit of an aggrivating noise on the highway, not nearly as bad as some but very noticable.

lol I did a lot of research and comparison before I made a purchase, I just hope it pays off!! ;) And I would be very interested to know if the Mud Terrains (IF you've already bought them) work out for plowing or not.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For snow/ice, I use studded Cooper Discoverer M&S on a dually. They are only on from Oct to Apr and have lasted three seasons so far with seemingly no wear.

For summer, I switch to Wildcat. Not sure who they're made by. They have sipes, too so I suppose they might be good for snow and ice. I just got them this year on the recommendation of the dealer, so don't really know how they'll do.
  8. derekbroerse

Yeah I'd like to try studs, but they are outlawed here in Ontario... hefty fines if they catch you...
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I run dunlop radial rover rt's. They do great in the snow for a AT tire. 28k and I have hade 6 of em on my truck and am in need of another 2 shortly, I will stick with em. I cant coment on tire wear though, I cant seem to resist driving like a maniac long enough to get an accurate idea.

Or do you want to run a deticated snow tire/summer tire?
  10. PLOWMAN45

anyone know if there is online place to buy cooper tires ?:help:
  11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

you try tirerack.com? I have bought a few tires off em and they have been good to work with. Also have a review section that can be kinda handy.
  12. PLOWMAN45

i dont think they sell coopers
  13. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

Can't speak for myself, but a friend has a dually and he has Falken M+S on them

I on the other hand have heard great things about the Bridgestone AT REVO
  14. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I'm getting Cooper Discoverer M+S's put on my new truck.. I have them on both of my other trucks and they run great all year. Put them on new in October and by spring time enough tread has worn off so its a smooth ride..:drinkup:
  15. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

This is the Bridgestone AT REVO Great traction in snow
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  16. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

OK That previous attempt didnt work

17. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I run studded Cooper Discoverer M&S as well, and will never go back to a non-snow rated tire again. We live next to a ski resort, and conditions get pretty wild. But between the studded snows and 350# of ballast in the bed, I never once had a problem getting around. Had BFGs before, and in late winter with the thaw/refreeze cycles they were an accident waiting to happen! :eek:

1957 Dodge K8-D100
    2002 Chevy K1500
    1999 Kubota L3010HST with gnarly ice chains
  18. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

The truck i just got has two sets of wheels. For summer they had the cooper discoverers and the winter tires are firestones. With ever thing i'm hearing about cooper tires i'm wondering why they wheren't used for plowing.
    Since i have two sets of wheels any recomendations for good plowing tires? Should i just go with good snow tires or does the tread pattern matter? They will only be used in the winter for plowing.
  19. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

I run Mickey thompson MTX's and love them. They are in a size 35x15x12.5. They are and A/T and have 4 rows of tread blocks across them. Not real agressive but there is enough space between the lugs to stick your finger in them with out a prob. 3 rows of siping on each block, and i thought they gripped awesome. Only got stuck twice but the was from hitting the pile a little too hard because i was runnning behind and the blade need to be dug out. So not really the tires fault. They are a little noisy going down the road though.

Almost all the tire shops around here will sipe the tires for you for like 20 or 30

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  20. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

anyone plow with perrelli tires