1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires-To Stud or not to Stud?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dirtymartini, Nov 7, 2014.

1. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I am going to put a set of dedicated snow tires on my '04 2500HD, either Firestone Winterforce or Cooper Discoverer M+S if I can find them.

My question is to stud them??? I am in NEPA and we get our share of ice/frozen mix.

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If i could run studded tires i would.

3. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I'm running Studs in my winter tires and they're great. You can damage-scratch concrete/blacktop if you spin the tires.

4. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

The way the winters have been here for the past few years I have switched to dedicated studded tires. It definitely helps.

5. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I think that's the only negative about studs. Here in PA I believe they are legal from Nov 1 through April 15. For icy conditions I don't think there is anything better except for full chains. I think I will stud them...thanks for the input.

6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Yup
    They stick like a cat on the curtains! Go for it!

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Just exercise some level of throttle control........ When stacking is when you'll need to be conscious of the studs, meaning don't shoot for shadowing the Rockies with your pile.Thumbs Up

And then some...... When I hop from the plow truck to my other truck that doesn't have studs it's a huge difference and can get a little western the first curve.:laughing:

8. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

stud them up you will be hoping for more

9. dirtymartini

dirtymartini Member

I think I am going to go with the studded Firestone Winterforce, I can't seem to find the Cooper M+S

10. DellSteven

DellSteven Junior Member
    from Toronto

I would stud , we cannot use them in ontario , but used them in eastern canada and loved them !tymusictymusic

11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I got the Firestone winterforce last year and I love them. Amazing traction. I do regret not studding them though