1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires + Size

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Oct 14, 2008.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have read a lot of posts..There seems to be many of you going to a wider tire...I was always told that a narrower tire will go through the snow better..I would like some feed back on these thoughts ....WIDE VS NARROW....Thanks ! ! ! ! I have stock 245's

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Im running 265/75/16's with no complaints

3. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

i'm running a decently narrow tire 235/85 R16 and it does very well. i used to have wider tires on there and it wasnt nearly as capable for how i use it anyhow.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'm running 285-75-16's on two of my trucks.17's on the other (we ran 7.50's for years...).
    yes, a narrow tire will cut through the crap and find the bottom where a wide tire will float building an ice patch underneath it.

Weight plays into this also.

Lets say you have a light vehicle like a jeep.
    It will not take a very wide tire to make it float

Add weight, a bigger truck and a wider tire will be pushed down and dig in.
    There is a limit as how wide you can go, then you will be floating again.

What about height?
    taller..

I like them because they get my differential high enough to clear things like curbs, traffic islands, etc etc.

At that size the tread blocks seam to be more substantiation than the smaller sizes