1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires running low...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Turf Commando, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I'm running these another year Michelin LTX A/T tires even as you can see their past due for replacing, who runs them down to the wear bars also...?

Front
    [​IMG]

Back
    [​IMG]

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Just rotate tires. Should last few thousands miles before you replaced. I would replace in Dec for new tires before snow storms.

F250 that I plow last winter. Tire is this one.
    [​IMG]

3. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Holy Cow Mil, I put more agressive tires on my wifes car!

As for the OP, I don't think those tires are that bad, just plan on a little more ballast!

4. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Hate to admit that I stretched my LTXs the same last year. We had quite a bit of snow too. I just made sure that I had Half a ton of salt in the hopper before the snow showed up. Heavy plow didn't hurt on route either I imagine. I will have to purchase new ones before the weather turns this year though...good luck

5. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Well it not my F250 I work for my friend so I use his F250. That tire is really worst one. No traction.

Turf Commando if you look for deep thread tires for cheap. http://www.treadwright.com/

6. Turf Commando

Luckily, I just put new tires on my {92} F-150 Yokohama Geolander A/T's 31x10.5. 15
    I'll have to take a pic after it gets out of repair shop bad ball joints .....

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the year i tried to stretch my snows was the worst, I was slipping all over the place. the second worse was plowing with the factory ltx's, although they were bearable if I put 1500 pounds in the back.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We run those tires on our ambulances at work. With the weight of the ambulances they do great in the snow. The tread is more aggressive then it looks in the picture. You have to remember they are almost worn out. We have them on Expeditions and Explorers and they do just fine in the snow. You get many miles out of them too. Last time I looked on Tire rack.com they are $172 a piece for 245/75/16's.

9. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I am buying the new LTX AT2. They are already ordered through Costco.
    It's also nice that they nitrogen fill them.
    The tire guy cries when he talks about them. They will replace all other Michelin heacy tread tires.
    Low noise. Long lasting. Best traction.
    149.99 at Costco right now with $70 off total order.
    Can't beat it.

I ran tires last year just like yours Turf...they did Ok...
    I said...Ok. Make sure you have some ballast as coming around a corner may pull your back end out.

10. Turf Commando

I experienced some fish tailing last season going down steep hills, putting it into 4H before hills seems to correct the problem,,,

11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i was running some cheap tires last season, i ran them till the wires were showing. i now currently have geolander ats on my and we got 4 inches at the end of the year and i didnt even need 4x4.

12. Turf Commando

I just got mine on the truck they're better then I expected....

13. Ironwood

Ironwood Junior Member

Are those E load range?

14. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I actually gave one tire business lot an option this year to pay the season retainer with a set of LTX's. Pretty bush league but hey, I'm from NH. Actual cash value was $650. so it would be good for me if it were good for them. Ever do a proposal like that?

15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Not to hi-jack the thread but I bought a set of General Grabber AT2's last november, I MIGHT have put 7-9k on since and they are worn down 75% What a bunch of crap!!!!!!! I paid 156.00 each for these "supposed to be" great tires. They came with 16/32 and now 3 days ago I got my truck inspected and found out they are all down to 6 and 7/32. Called General Tire and the B!TCH for a customer service rep was of no use. Just to let guys know my experience with these tires.

16. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Ive had great luck with the grabbers on my F250. Sorry to hear you didnt

17. Turf Commando

I read good reviews, bad reviews, across a wide spectrum of brands .....
    IMO tire life goes by operator, not tires...

18. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I run Federal Couragia M/T's on my truck and they seem to do fairly decent on wear. They grab great though.

As for the OP, I ran my other set 2 years ago like that and they did fine as long as I ran my ballast.

19. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

Michelin, BFGoodrich and Uniroyal are the only tires I trust.
    A 60,000 tire will surpass 100,000 miles almost everytime.

Any rubber made in China is not rubber at all.