1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires? "P" or "LT"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by statman, Sep 12, 2012.

1. statman

statman Junior Member
    from NW Ohio

I have 20" P regular tread tires on my 2008 Ram that I am going to start using as a plow truck. Are those ok or should I go to a more aggressive tread with an LT tire? How about changing to 17" as a cost reduction? Any thoughts?
  2. wewille

wewille Senior Member

p tires are for passenger cars. LT tires are for light trucks.The p and lt designation are about wight capacity not so much tread style. I would install what dodge recommends.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a second set of rims for winter. 16s if they will fit. LTs would be a little better for carrying a heavy plow
  4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Your telling us the wrong numbers on your truck to answer . The year means nothing is it a 1500 , 2500 or 3500 ? 1500 get p 2500 and 3500 get LT
  5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i ran p's on my 2500hd last year as they came with the truck when i bought ir and will be getting lt's this year as they are better for the weight not so much for just the plow as the weight of plow , salt and spreader combined. its safer with the lt's and the truck will handle better
  6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

What is this world coming to? P(assenger) tires on trucks? Really?

Anyways, trucks should have LT tires, whether they are plowing or not. And if you're plowing, you definitely need LT's.

As for the 20 vs 17's, it will change your effective gear ratio for the better. You do realize you will need new wheels as well?
  7. Kodiakguy

Kodiakguy Senior Member

They put "P" rated tires on there because they have a softer sidewall and thus a softer ride with 20" wheels. Im sure the tire is rated to carry whatever the weight of the fully loaded truck is, otherwise they wouldn't be on there.

"LT" rated tires have a stiffer (higher ply) sidewall. You will noticed an increased stiffness to the ride as well as handling.

As for gearing, doesn't matter what size the wheel is as long as the overall mounted diameter of the tire is the same as the OEM equiped one. Furthermore, you would have to make a big change in the overall diameter to make much of a difference in the gearing. Adding or subtracting 1/2 inch to 1 inch on the overall tire diameter wont matter much, even to your spedo that will be off at the most 2 MPH. If you go up in diameter, it will show slower than actuall speed, if you go down in diameter, it will show faster that actuall speed. It will effect you odometer as well.

Go somewhere like tire rack and enter the truck info, then select a tire and wheel package. They should only show what is listed as OEM sizes / combos for your truck.

I would ALWAYS put LT rated tires on a truck used to carry heavy loads and tow.