1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires on Dodge 2500

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by theguynextdoor, Oct 6, 2008.

1. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I went in for new tires today. I wanted teh 265/75R16 BF goodrich all terrains. The guys at the shop told me I would be better off with the BF Goodrich Commercial tires, same size because they are load range E and better for plowing. They are a special order item, so I didn't get any today. The truck came with 285/75/R16 Mastercraft tires Load Range D which are really crappy and wore out fast. Should I be going with the commercial tires, or am I ok with the all terrains. I see a lot of people on the site have the all terrains on their trucks.

Thanks for any input
  2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I would choose the ATs outs of your 2 choices.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You should be able to get the BFG /AT/ ko's 265/75R16 in load range "E"

I'm running a new set of Brigestone Revos on one of my trucks(they have broken up the center rib)
    285-75-16's I got 57k out of the last set and they are load range "D"
    A lot of "d" tires can carry as much weight as "e" tires. and you will not be going 100mph plowing.
    so it is a good alternative for a 2500.
  4. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

I saw your truck at UB and I noticed that they were pretty thin.
  5. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Haha yea. The front ones wore down on the outsides so fast because my front end needed all new ball joints and u joints. So i had all that done, new front pads and callipers and a new transmission. I need tires so bad, the truck shakes because they are so out of wack. Can't drive over 45 mph.
  6. red07gsxr

red07gsxr Senior Member
    from meriden

get pro comp's at's. great in the snow and get good tread life and there e rated.
  7. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Which Mastercraft tires were you running ? If they were the M&S's they are strickly a winter rated tire. The soft compound wears extremely fast on warm to hot pavement.
  8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I have been running BFG AT's size 285 70 17 to plow and they are doing great. They are D rated but that's fine because a bigger D tire can hold the same weight at a lower pressure as a smaller E tire can at a higher pressure. Some will argue I'm wrong til they are blue in the face but it's simple math really. Run the A/T's!
  9. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

we've had the best luck in snow with the bfg commercial t/a's as opposed to the all terrain's in the snow. just make sure that they are t/a commercial traction not t/a commercial all season. big difference in the tread design!!! they are also rated as a winter tire. we ran them a lot also for the loggers pickups that we serviced in B.C. they loved them in all weather conditions up on the mountain logging roads.
  10. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I've been looking at the Blizzak W965's for my 2500 and the DM-Z3's for my Jeep...

Anybody put a winter in on the Bridgestone tires? What'd you think?
  11. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

Ouch! Did you do any of that yourself?
  12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Gentlemen, the difference between a Load Range "D" tire vs "E" is not only carrying capacity, but sidewall rating and strength. That is also very important. I only run BFG Radial All Terrain T/A KO's for winter tires, 235-85-16, Load Range E on my Ford 1 Ton Pick Ups.