1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires on a 2003 Chevy 1500 reg. cab short bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy 1500, May 6, 2009.

1. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

I currently have 245/75r16s on the truck and i want to put on 285/75r16s will they fit? does anyone run these on there 1500's and do i need to do anything to the truck. I am not doing a lift and want to know if i can just put them on and maybe take a few cranks on the torsion bars. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. speedy

speedy Senior Member

Do you want width in addition to height? To go to 285's you really should get wider rims. If you want taller, but width isn't a priority, go with 255/85R16. They usually spec out taller than 285's and only 1/2" wider than stock. The selection of tread designs and manufacturers is more limited, but I like the look on my CC Duramax. I even went with 235/85R16 on my V6 1/2 ton. 245's were the stock size on both. The 255's give my Duramax a 9% overdirve, and the 1/2 ton's speedo is now bang-on according to my GPS. Tire make and model on both are Toyo M55.

I think 285's are a disadvantage in snow and ice, the width limits the traction, unless you get sometimng with anarrow tread pattern. But ultimately it's your choice.

I cranked up the T-bars on the D-max (slight rub at full left lock on driver's side when suspension is under compression) - got a wheel alignment too, no change on th '96 1/2 ton.
    Last edited: May 6, 2009
  3. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

Regardless if you are going to use them in the snow or not, they should fit on the stock chevy rims (although upgrading to a wider rim would ensure that they fit) However, with just a few cranks of the torsion bars, they should fit just fine. A buddy of mine has 285/75/16s on his 2000 Chevy half ton with the stock wheels, and the truck looks really nice. But, like Speedy said, you may have a slight rub at full lock going in either direction)
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

They will fit with a few turns on the tbars and mayble some slight trimming.

They will fit on stock chevy wheels. I have 285s on oem wheels off an 02ish era chevy.
    I have no rub at full lock, even with no extra turns on the bars and my plow on. But I have heavier tbars and spring packs.

Here's what 285s on stock 16x6.5 (I think) look like.
  5. BOSSMAN21

BOSSMAN21 Senior Member

265 Adventuro GT Radials.....enough said!