1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires, heavy lug or snow?

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by tnmtn, Aug 20, 2012.

1. tnmtn

tnmtn Junior Member

I am putting a plow on a '90 mazda truck for plowing small driveways. I have been checking on tires and can go with either a heavy lug mud tire or standard snow tires. I was wondering which you guys think would be best for working in a mountainous area. Thanks in advance.
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Snow tires hands down, the "mud tire" aren't that great, now if you mean a traction tire that's a different story.
  3. tnmtn

tnmtn Junior Member

The tires I am talking about are along the lines of the off-road tires you see on many jeeps and off road trucks. Maybe not specifically for mud as much as for off road. I know they self cleaning and don't get as packed as other tires.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I've never had good luck with mud tires or anything really aggressive for that matter.
  5. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Snow tires would be best by far for plowing in a moutain reigion but the reason most dont use them is they wear out very quickly when driven on streets. If you run a deticated plow truck their awsome but if the tries are daily driven all through out the year AT tires are better.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's all about the compounding of the rubber. Snow tires are a world above all season/all terrain tires. Names like Blizzak, Nokain, or even Bridgestone Revo2( or the General lots of guys love for it's performance and price) will save you time and money with the added control and traction. IMO the Nokain Hakkapeliitta LT2 is the king but I've used the Bridgestone A/T Revo2 with great success. Get a set of cheap steel rims and mount a set of winter tires, they will last you for years and are well worth the money even for day to day driving in winter conditions Then you can run a better summer tire for improved ride and performance. Another plus is extending the life of your summer rubber.

There are a thousand threads on tires on the site. Use the search feature in the menu bar below the ads and you can find many opinions on the best tire.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. tnmtn

tnmtn Junior Member

I appreciate the input, looking for a extra set of wheels now.
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

They don't call em Snow Tires for nothing. As Basher said, Hakk's are King. MasterCraft MSRs also work well for a little less money. Tall and skinny. If you can score 16" rims, 235/85 are the cat's ass for plowing
  9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Basher....ever run a set of firestones? We've had pretty good luck with them but they are pricey. I think they're called winter force or arctic force or something like that. Been a while since I've looked at them.
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Exactly, snow tires are the best way to go for plowing. But, a good all terrain will also do the trick if you don't want to buy two sets of tires.