1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires for plowing, 265's vs 285's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lynden-Jeff, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Hey,

Just buying some new tires, am I going to notice a huge difference with driving preformance on a slightly wider tire? I am running the 265's now. Control while driving and grip are of course my two main concerns.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. TLB

TLB Senior Member

I run 295's on my lifted Avalanche 2500 that is my daily driver and I will say that I notice a difference form a skinnier tire. I do use 265's on my plow truck.

Anybody running 285's on a plow truck?

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I run 285/75 on my truck. If you have the right tires and 4x4 your fine. I run the Revo's and I had no problem in the snow, im always in 4wd though, I never try to plow in 2wd.
    My other truck (no plow) I run 36x14.5 super swampers, long as its in 4wd your good.

Im up for new tires before winter, and I will be buying 285's again.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I run 285's on all my plow trucks.

A taller tire seams to work better in the deep snow or uneven terrain.
    They seam to roll over obstacle easier also.
    I think the ride quality is better too.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Im going to go with the 285's, I dont really think they are that much bigger. I had the 265 nitto terra grapplers last year and was very pleased, so im going to give it a go again this year. For $185 a tire installed they are not bad.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. RAZOR

RAZOR Senior Member

Jeff

I would stay with a narrower tire for winter. I have 265-75-16 now but for my next set I'm going for 235-85-16's. I think they might even be a few $ cheaper.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I run 285 70 17 BFG All Terrains while plowing and step it up to 315's the rest of the year. Works great.

8. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We run 235/85 R 16 on our trucks. Work much better than the wider tires.

9. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

He's probably right that a tall narrow tire works better in the snow.

10. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Wider tires will have a greater tendency to float over the top of the snow and skinnier tires will have a greater tendency to cut through the snow to the road underneath. Of course there are a million variables like the snowpack, tread pattern, tire pressure and whatever else. Taller narrow tires are the best choice for winter. If I ever go to using summer and winter tires adn wheels I'll go back to stock 245 winter tires adn use 275 or 285 series summers for the look I prefer.