1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires for my Truck...

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Newdude, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

This is probably the millionth thread like this but, here it goes. I am looking for tires for my truck. I will be purchasing in the fall. I have been eyeing one tire especially: The General Grabber AT 2

Does anyone have any experience with this tire?? Does anyone have any tire sugggestions other than this one?? I would like to stay stock size (245/75/16) but might consider a 265. Thanks.

Currently I am running Bridgestone Duravis tires.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

this does not answer your question but if you want to save a ton of money on really good tires check out treadwright.com
  3. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have Firestone Destination A/T on both of my vehicles. I'd buy them again. Got the from Roadway Wholesale tire last summer.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have experience with those tires - Grabber AT2. I absolutely hated them. Here's my experience with three different brands on the same truck.

Three winters ago I plowed with Cooper ATR 245/75. They had less than half tread left. I did OK, got stuck once going somewhere I shouldn't have.

Two winters ago I bought brand new General Grabber AT2. 235/85 with studs. Tall and skinny, this thing is going to be awesome. First storm I knew I had made a mistake. Even with the sander fully freighted, I couldn't plow flat hot top in two wheel drive. Struggled with them all winter. Last season I put on Mastercraft MSRs. This is a dedicated snow tire, with studs. Absolutely fantastic. I will be running them again this year, and for the foreseeable future.

If you don't mind messing with two sets of tires, get the MSR's or Cooper M&S for winter. If you want one tire all season, get BFG All Terrains.

My experiences/opinion.
  5. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I took a look there...man they are cheap! But, are re-treaded tires any good??
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Allowed on school buses (rear only) by the DOT. Might try a set this winter on the 81. With the walnut shells.

When looking at costs, be sure to include mount and balance.

And don't forget feeling like a creep when you take the tires you bought online to the local guy struggling to get by, and you ask him to mount and balance for 10 or 12 bucks.

If only they were available in 255/85/16
  7. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I am currently running a set of 265-70R17s with the walnuts.......I only have about 3000 miles on them but so far so good..... My last set were BFG AT's and they only lasted 28,000 miles.......not great for over $1000.... These cost around $600 mounted and balanced..... Walmart installed for me... There are alot of reviews of these tires on the web, all good....plus they have been around for a very long time... I thought that if they were good enough for mudders to use then why not try them......If I only get 28,000miles out of them I and still $400-500 ahead....

They have a model that is the same tread as the BFG AT's but is was not available yet in my size.......that will be the next pruchase
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  8. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Has anyone used the Bridgestone Deuler family??
  9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Ok. The BFG All-Terrain T/A KO are $166.00 from Tire Rack

So that would be near 750 with shipping, and no installation. And that would run atleast $30 per tire, more or less.

I can get these at my local Dunn Tire for $210.98 (http://dunntire.com/Compare/?id=681) with all the install fees included and life time repair for the tire life. Here is that tire's breakdown from dunntire.com (click attachment below) Would it be worth spending $843.92 (plus 67.51 in tax, totaling $911.43) for that tire??

Attached Files:

10. Geary44

Geary44 Senior Member

you could also check out " treadepot.com "
  11. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Run Firestone Transforce AT, Very good in snow and will not break the bank.
  12. 1 bad bolt

1 bad bolt Member

i just bought bridgestone dueler a/t revos from tire rack, a little bit under 600 shipped for all four, they have very good ratings
  13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If you click the SEARCH button you'll get more on this subject than you have time to read. I'm very happy with my Blizzak tires for winter use ONLY. Big emphasis on WINTER ONLY because they suck in the summer and wear out really fast. It's worth it to me to deal with swapping to Blizzak tires when the snow comes because I can plow 95% of the time in 2WD which makes the truck turn better.