1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires for my plow truck

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by adhiggie, Feb 8, 2011.

1. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

I currently have a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO 2s on my truck. They have been on since October 2009. During the last storm I noticed more slipping than usual. I got to looking at them and saw that they were almost worn out! I checked and of the 50,000 Mile warranty I have only driven 18,000!
    Has anyone else had a similar problem? Any thoughts on what tires I should use to replace these with?

2. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

Check out www.treadwright.com they are re treads but trust me, having bought and used 5 full sets they are great. I was running the 265/75/16 Howlers on my plow truck the last 2 years, I switched over to the Wardern AT's for my F-350 Crew Cab and they are great. Plus they are almost half the price of new tires.

3. baldplowguy

baldplowguy Junior Member

In the past, I always bought BF Goodrich All Terrains for my plow trucks. I didn't mind the relatively high price as they performed so well. In recent years, I was only getting 20K miles out of them and decided to try something else. Last year I bought my first set Kumho tires and have been blown away! I am on 25K with my first set and they are not half worn. They ride just as good if not better than BF Goodrich and are less than half the cost. I found out about them from the pros on this site. This alone has been worth the price of admission! :nod:

4. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Which ones do you use?

5. tysonmatc2

tysonmatc2 Member

On Tread Wrights website the Wardens are the same as the BF Goodrich AT pattern. I have also heard good things about Khumo tires but not had a set myself. I have a friend that plows with the Sentinal tires he just got from Tread Wright this season and he swears by them, says they grip great and still look like new. I don't run those because I have 285/75/16's and the biggest size you can get those is 265/75/16.

6. adhiggie

adhiggie Member

Thanks tysonmatc2!

@BaldPlowGuy Which ones do you use?

7. baldplowguy

Road Venture AT 265 75 16

8. baldplowguy

Let me know what prices you are getting. I think mine were like $140 a piece last year I know prices went up on just about everything January 1st. Just curious...

9. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I put Treadwright Wardens with Kedge Grip on my F350 this year. Love them.

10. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Treadwrights on mine, 285/75R16. Been very pleased with them.

11. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I've been very happy with the Goodyear DuraTracs on my plow truck.

12. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I bought 4 new Pacemark Snowtrackers at the garage that does my repair work. I had never heard of them before. They are very aggressive and siped tread winter tires that will come off in spring. I've been in some bad spots with ice under the snow here, and they always got the job done.
    I don't put many miles on so I was looking for max snow and ice traction. I don't remember what I paid but they were cheap.

13. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

I run Mastercraft Courser C/Ts in 285/75-16. Been very happy with them.

People that bought the treadwrights, do they balance out well or vibrate at all? I have seem some retread in light trucks before and they didnt balance out and rode horribly. the customer wasnt very happy with their purchase.

14. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Mine required minimal weights.

15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Mine balanced out fine. Treadwrights sends instructions that tell the installer how to balance them, and the guy that put mine on said the balanced out as easily as a new tire. I have run them a few times at 70-75mph and they ride and handle fine.

16. Ant118

Ant118 Senior Member

I run Michlien XLT's amazing tire. just a bit pricey.

17. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

All our trucks run Duratracs.

18. blee1ash

blee1ash Senior Member

I'm using Cooper Discover S/T. They are the best tire I have had yet, and they are made in the USA! They are a little pricey though, $185ea for 285/75/16.
    I'm very intredted in the Treadwrights though, the price is right. I will be checking into them next time I need tires.

19. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I run Firestone Transforce A/T's. 265/75/16. They have 43,000 miles on them right now. I cannot complain considering i can probably get at least another 10-15k out of them.,

20. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I can't imagine getting 20k out of a set of tires. thats god awful. Do you check you tire pressure and rotate?