1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires for Jeep CJ5 plow rig

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by mark24, Nov 9, 2007.

1. mark24

mark24 Member

I'm considering the purchase of new tires for my junker. Paid $2k for a 1976 Jeep CJ5 304 V8. Came with Meyer plow setup. This thing is even equipped with all of the lights for plowing. Strobes front and rear.

Anyway, the tires are so..so and leak air slowly. Could use a boost. I want excellent snow traction for plowing and the ability to go through some deeper snow. I don't think I want studs or chains. So, looking for some ideas/opinions on new tires.
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You'll probably get recommendations on everything from selling the Jeep to lifting it 7", and it will probably also take about 5 posts before you get a productive response (just look at mine!).

I'd say you were right on the other thread about chains scuffing up the garage slab, but I don't think studs will do as much to it (people correct me if I'm wrong).

Good luck!
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Winter tires such as the Dunlop Blizac are fantastic snow tires!
  4. watchamakalit

watchamakalit Member

There are alot of opinions out there one tires for plowing. Almost as many as plow choices. I prefer BF Goodrich AT's I had a jeep comanche and the truck would stall before you could spin those tires in 4X4 while pushing snow. I loved them. Just my .02
  5. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I prefer the round ones compared to the square ones :D hee hee, just thought that i would start the joking around :jester: anyway your going to get alot of recommendations that will probably make you more confused than when you posted the question good luck.
  6. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

I'e used both mentoned aboe and they are great. I use Blizzacks on all my jeeps. I'm usin Kuhmos on my 76 cj5 right now and they were excelent for plowing for about 3 years. I could stall the engine pushing back snow baks with thse tires.

Have fun with it.
  7. mark24

mark24 Member

What model Kuhmo's?
  8. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 76 cj5 with gumbo monster was a beast. Hope its not mine sold it to dad's friend up north about 15 years ago hope its still running.

gumbo monster (Small).jpg
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

BFG a/t ko's.one of the best plowing ,off road and road tires out there.
  10. mark24

mark24 Member

Those tires look good. What kind were they? Gumbo Monster's?

That's not the one I own, but is very similar.
  11. mark24

mark24 Member

12. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

They were whatever AT's were available at the time. I'll have to look but they don't sell the same tire now in the size I bought. 33X12.5-15.
  13. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

On my jeep i had good year A/T on it and they were way past due and thy worked fine, i was usually plowing in 2wd, look on Craigslist.com to see if there are any tires on there since new ones are so expensive. I picked up some Mickey Thompsons with rims and they had 500 miles on them for $250 and did a fantastic job. Everyone has their opinions on tires but realisticly any A/T ot M/T tire is gonna do fine.
  14. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

I agree with these guys. thats what i had on my jeep(even wider than most would recomend and still worked great), and had them on other vehicles as well and have zero complaints!!