1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires For A Plow Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mac, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Mac

Mac Member

Does anyone know of a good set of tires for a 97 K2500HD (8-lug) . I'm basically looking for a good brand, and style. I bought BFG All-Terrain K.O last year, and burnt them off very quickly. My truck is only used for plowing. Any input would be great.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2001
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I prefer the General MT Grabber
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I run Dunlop all terrains on my trucks. They seem to grab well and do not wear out. I experienced the same thing with BFG's. They are a very soft rubber I think.
  4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Our 16" tire trucks use Cooper WeatherMasters.

Very pleased with the grip.

The wear out fast, but they're cheap. We have 2 sets tires/rims for all our trucks, so they last 2-3 seasons before we sell them.
  5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Based on advice I've received from others, I just ordered a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's. Not too expensive, and the tread pattern looks like it'll work pretty well.

I'll let you know after it snows! LOL.

6. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

Cooper CTD's
  7. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

The truck i bought last spring came with an addittionnal set of Uniroyal Laredo Lug with stud. They are in good condition but my first impression is that i need something more for icy condition, they look like more for mud use. will begin the season and see.

BTW my truck is a drw and may be i'll need to remove one set to keep good traction, wich one do i keep, inside or outside?

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's what you want for a snow tire.

You need the open tread design of a mud tire for deep snow.

You need lots (& lots) of little cuts (sipes) for ice.

You need a SOFT rubber compound for both. (Soft tires don't wear well, though)

The best tire for plowing is still the Bridgestone Blizzak (old style MS-15) But they're available only in 15".
  9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Denis - I would try and avoid removing one pair of tires from your dually, mine seems to do just fine with all 4 of them back there and it's only a 2wd! (And that's pushing a plow too :) )

If you do decide to "single tire" your truck, I'd remove the outside wheel and leave the inner one alone. Your track width will be a little narrower at the back, but it should work OK. (I have seen trucks with the inner wheel taken off and the outside on, looks a little goofy that way. The ultimate "reversed rim" look! :D )
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2001
  10. SlimJim Z71

A LITTLE goofy?!?! It looks plain WEIRD! LOL. I agree... just leave all of them on there. You'll be better off.

11. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper CTD's would be my choice if you plan to swap them out in the spring. If you choose to use an aggressive tread year-round go with Dunlop R/T, same basic tread design as CTD but quieter on the road, drawback is shorter tread life than CTD.
  12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have the CTD on the rear of my truck and they have lasted great, about 25K so far and at least another 25K before swapping them off.
  13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Check this site out http://www.easterntire.ns.ca/pages/products.html
    I've been running their remolds for plowing for the last 6 years or so.
    They out perform any tire I ever had on my truck for traction in snow. The downside is they're are a soft compound and will not wear well at highway speeds in warm weather. The big plus they sell here for about $70.00 CDN ($50.00 US)
    each for 245-75-16E's I get 2 season's plowing out of a set ( they're mounted on they're owns rims and I take them off each spring). I see they are shipping to the US. If you can find a dealer near you try them, I know you'll be impressed, and save yourself a couple of hundred dollars!

Struds are legal here, from Nov to April and I run them on my trucks. I have to be really STUPID to need a pull out.

14. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

In the 10 years I have been plowing commercially I have been through many tires. Decent ones have been Kelly Safari AWR's, Gooryear Wrangler TD's, BF Goodrich MT's. So far, the absolute best tire I have used are Pro-Comp Mud Terrain. I know it sounds silly but I only plow industrial and rail yards. I really beat the s*** out of my truck and I used to have to replace the tires every year! I have had these Pro Comp's on my truck and on 4 others now for 2 years now and ready to go into a third. They have a very aggresive pattern but are quiet on the highway. They are 6 ply rated and resist puncture very well. I run my personal truck at 25 - 28 p.s.i. and I have found absolutely nothing better!

Plow Meister
    1995 F250 7.3L Power Stroke 9 1/2' Western Pro

They already come pre-drilled for ice studs too. I run 33 12.50 16's on my truck
    Plow Meister
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2001
  15. SlimJim Z71

I'm going to have to disagree about the BFG Mud-Terrains... I have them on my truck now, and couldn't stand them last winter. Maybe mine are a little wider.

16. Plow Meister

What size tires are you running? And on what vehicle? I have the BFG MT's on several Jeeps I race and fing them to be a great tire in the mud, snow, and on the rock crawling course. However, it has been my experience that with the weight of my truck and plow on the front tires, it tends to wear them down a lot faster than the Pro comp tires. The ironic thing is that the Pro Comp tires are extremely generic. My set of 4 cost me less than $500.00 and they last me 2 yrs so far going on 3. I put about 25,000 miles a year on and most of that pulling a 40' trailer weighing about 15,000 pounds loaded.
  17. SlimJim Z71

They are LT265/75-16 on a Chevy extended-cab short-bed 4x4. Yes... they do wear rather quickly. I just ordered a set of Dueler A/T's on the recommendation of several people I work with. I'm getting them for under $400 brand new, so I can't really complain about price. Plus, I'll be installing and balancing them, so I know they'll be done right.

18. grassNsnow

grassNsnow Junior Member

Last Year i tried a Set of 305/70R16 Goodyear MTRs on my Ram 2500. they worked very well plowing. and were a lot of fun on those wet slushy spring days when i wanted to go mudding after work.
  19. Plow Meister

Right on, Slim. That was the size of my origional tires. I since upgraded to 33 X 12.50 X 16's I believe the taller tire gives me the advantage when plowing very deep snow. Say over 16". I just blast right through it. Good luck with the new shoes. Let me know how they work.

Any thoughts on the Blizzac (sp) tires??
  20. SlimJim Z71

We put the Blizzaks on a lot of the Mercedes & BMW's at work... and from what the customers tell us, they work great. I don't think they'd last all that long plowing though, they are very soft. But as far as traction goes, they're supposed to be awesome.