1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires Compacting Snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jacobmb, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Jacobmb

Jacobmb Junior Member

Hi everyone!

I am just curious for those out there doing residential driveways and backdragging, is there any way to prevent your truck tires from compacting the snow as you drive up to the garage?

I was thinking I could always plow the snow forward towards the garage, from the end of the drive to the top, and then backdrag it all down again, but that seems counter intuitive and more dangerous.

I guess having a good straight blade helps here. I was wondering if there are any trips and tips as I noticed on my first run, the truck seems to compact the snow down so much and those tracks can't be removed and then when the weather warms up they turn to ice!

Any help here would be appreciated!

J

Pics of my plow to follow!

2004 Dodge Ram 1500
    5.7L V8
    Cooper M+S TIRES 265/70R17
    Trans Cooler Addition
    Timbrens on Front
    Moog Performance Grease-able Ball Joints
    Torsion Bars Cranked
    Snoway 25MTD PLOW with Downpressure

Ram 1500.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I do the plow forward then back-drag game. I do not go all the way in but do it in stages. Now if is non compacting snow I just go all the way in with out plowing in.

3. Jacobmb

Jacobmb Junior Member

do you do the same thing for driveways that are sloped uphill? and also interlocking drives?

Thanks =)

J

P.s You do that with an all rubber blade right?

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

And what is non compacting snow? I'm really wondering this

5. Jacobmb

Jacobmb Junior Member

I assume he means very light, dry snow...the stuff that won't form a snowball in your hands even when you really try to compact it...If the snow won't compact under his tires then he will just roll up to the garage and backdrag... I think thats what he meant ;) :angel:

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I have yet to find that snow. Light fluffy and a 2 ton tk on top of it will compact it

7. maxwellp

"And what is non compacting snow? I'm really wondering this"

It is

"very light, dry snow...the stuff that won't form a snowball in your hands even when you really try to compact it...If the snow won't compact under his tires then he will just roll up to the garage and backdrag."

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up You hit it right on the head. :laughing:

Yes I use the rubber 96% of the time. It does not leave marks on expensive driveways. I do have the steal blades that I have used on very sticky snow that will not come up with the rubber. I never used them last year.

8. maxwellp

Sloped up hill away from the garage? If it is this yes I do it that way also just can't pull as much snow.
    What are interlocking drives?

Yes I use the rubber blade.

9. Jacobmb

Jacobmb Junior Member

LOL well you answered my question thanks!

I am curious to know if using this method with steel blades can cause more scratches and damage to the drive.

interlocking meaning expensive brick pattern pavers not asphalt driveways..

10. maxwellp

I guess it would, more going back and forth.

I have some interlocking / brick driveways. It does not leave the brown rust stains you see on driveways. And it goes over grass better with out digging in. That's why I put the rubber on to start with, but after using it I like it better. It is quite lasts a long time. Thumbs Up

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have poly cutting edges on my Daniels pull plow, it never cause's any damage unlike steel. With down pressure it is pretty quite.

The poly is more $$$ than steel but they are worth it IMO.

12. bookworm

bookworm Junior Member
    from Indiana

I'm trying to decide to go with poly or rubber. I have 80% resi and 20% light commercial. Just purchased a Snoway 26R with DP. Any suggestions on the right blade? Most of the drives here are exposed aggregate.

13. maxwellp

I use poly for everything. Works on Grass too. The poly is more $$$ than steel but they are worth it.

14. bookworm

bookworm Junior Member
    from Indiana

I've looked at both. It seems rubber would have a little more flexiblity but wouldn't last as long as the poly as would make sense. How does the poly do with clearing as opposed to rubber? How does poly do on stamped concret where you have uneven surface? Anyone used both and have an opinion? Thanks for your input!