1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires and the largest size

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Chevy 1500, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Chevy 1500

Chevy 1500 Member

I currently hace a 2003 Chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4. I have 245 75r 16 tires on it now. What is the largest size tires i can put on the truck without doing a lift. I was thinking of trying 285 75r 16? Are these to big? Thanks.

2. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

Tires

I am running 285/75/17 on my 2004 Silverado w/ a 3" lift and I do ok, don't know that I would like to run them without the lift.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

265/75/16 is max and will rub 285's won't even come close to fitting

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

he is right,plus a 285/75/16 wont fit on your rim properly. u would needto get new wheels if you go to the 285. well at least that is what the tire shop told me.i could be wrong. i run 265.75.16 on my 2500hd.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

Your tire shop doesnt know what they are talking about.

I had my 285s mounted on my factory wheels without a problem.
    When I had to replace one I mounted it myself and it wasnt any more difficult than mounting stock size tires. I have seen guys mount 305/70/16s on factory chevy wheels.

6. speedy

speedy Senior Member

255/85R16 they are taller than 285/55's and narrow so they are better in snowe and no rubbing. this is on y 2002 D-max with the t-bars cranked to gain about 1-1/2" to level it out. If you don't want to mess up your speedo (my 255's put mine out 9%) go with 235/85's, I have them on my 96 Shortbox and the speedo is bang-on acording to my GPS. 245/75's are stock sizes on both trucks.

I'm running Toyo M55's, but there is a pretty good selection of manufacturers and tread types in these sizes. 235's are more of a 'Dually' tire.

7. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

Tires

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=42969

here's a pic of my truck with the tires and lift kit. I have 17's because that is the stock rims on my silverado, you can put 285's on 16" rims. I agree 265 is probaly the largest you want to go without it rubbing the fender. I started runing tires that were super agressive in the snow and that only caused problems with axle shafts. I have since went to a tire that "slips" a little and love it.

8. Firemanfive0

Firemanfive0 Member
    from Midwest

Tires

I am on page 17. but here's the pic I want to show.

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I put 265/75/16 tires on my 2500HD D-Max and they just barely rubbed the backside of the plastic front bumper facia. 2 minutes with a hacksaw to trim the plastic back an inch took care of that and it looks like it came that way from the factory. I could probably get 285s to work, but it would likely require trimming into the metal part of the bumper a bit. I also have non-stock wheels that have just a bit less backspacing so the tire swings forward more when turning. That obviously isn't helping me.

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I ran 285-75-16's on stock rims with my 1500 99 GMC ext cab. no rubbing at all.

Plow Truck.jpg

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I thought they were wrong, but i did not get tires from them anyway. plus the tires I got Cooper Discovery ST did not come in load range E in 285 so I got the 265. I like them alot and the they fit the truck nice. hope you made a decision.

12. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

You really don't need load range E in a 285 because the max load per tire is only about 50-100 lbs less than that of the 265 also just cost more. I have the 285's on my stock wheels and only rub with ice buildup. They ride really well too.