1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires and ballast

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by niko, Dec 24, 2011.

1. niko

niko Junior Member

i've been running bfg all terrain 285/75 16s on my f250. was wondering if there are some better options out there. am i better off getting some dedicated snow tires? no studs/chains here in mass. also my BiL said a narrower tire might get better traction, which makes sense, but i wonder if it appreciable. the other thing is ballast - i've never used any because i figure the mpg is bad enough without adding 500#. but i see alot of guys here do use it. i'm going to give it a try this year. so how much weight? i run an 03 F250 w/ a 7.5' meyer doing just drivways(50). thanks and merry christmass to all

2. Lou Braun

Lou Braun Junior Member

Narrow tires do work better in the snow. Dedicated winter tires work even better if there is ice involved.

My $.02 is to always run ballast. Check out the plow manufacturer's web site for a recommended starting point for your truck. My guess is that 600# would be about right for your F250.

Fuel mileage pretty much sucks when plowing snow, so a little extra weight would not make much of a difference. Having the extra traction will make plowing easier and will help prevent getting stuck.

Lou Braun

3. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

I have 285/70/17 Bridgestone Revo 2. They blow the BFG's away in price, wear and snow traction. i had the BFG A/T on before but they only lasted 30,000 miles. I have 500 lbs. of balast and i never use 4 wheel drive

4. PenfieldProp

PenfieldProp Junior Member
    from 06880

check out the new cooper a/t 3s really nice tire alot of traction the bfg are a good tire but burn fast i run 265 75 18 cooper a/t 3 there an awsome tire and u definatly get what u pay for a 250 a tire ballast is also key i see a huge difference after i salt walkways and run through ten bags

5. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Snow tires work great if you want to have two sets of tires/rims. I run Mastercraft Courser C/Ts on my F-250 With 1000lbs in the back. I have a Blizzard 810 so I figured I needed a bit more weight. Like everyone else said, BFGs are spendy and dont last long on heavy trucks, The new Coopers are a great tire too.

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I run 255/85R16's on my trucks. They are a 33" tall tire just like a 285, but they are skinny. They will cut down to the pavement. Weight is always good.

7. grf_1000

grf_1000 Senior Member

i just changed out my cooper atrs with at3's love them. i run around 600# in the rear od the 2500hd

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What brand/tread are you running?

9. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I like winter tires. Mine are cheap, off brand tires, (245/75-16) and 700 # of ballast. I'm pushing a 7 1/2 ft Curtis with Buyers wings, almost always in 2 wheel drive. I like to save 4WD for getting out of trouble.

10. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Had B stone blizzaks on one of my older trucks....total animals! My new truck has 17";no load range "E" blizzaks available. Gonna try F stone winterforce.Actually to be mounted this week.If you go this route, invest in a second set of rims to save the hassle of remounting.I will let you guy know my thoughts on the winterforce skins....if we ever get snow!

Blizzaks would no question be my choice if available.Very soft rubber though;got to get them on at the latest time possible,and off as soon as possible to save the wear.

11. mustangman02232

mustangman02232 Senior Member

firestone destination A/Ts are very similar but cheaper, i run 285/75r16s, i also have a plastic pallet with a semi truck tire bolted to it full of sand for weight and its easy to take out with a bobcat or fork lift

12. Philbilly2

I have some BFGoodrich Mud-Terrains and some Maxxis Bighorns.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Do you sipe the BFGs? Have you tried the Cooper Discover S/T or Interco TrXus MT?

14. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

Cooper Discover S/T's - studded for winter us only

BFG A/T's for the off season.

The Cooper's have been by far the best snow tire I have used, especially on ice with the studs.

Thumbs Up

15. Philbilly2

No siping. I only bought the maxxis as a get buy as I didnt have the cash flow to outfit the trucks with BFG's at the time.

I am a die hard BFG guy.

I have not tried any of the Coopers or the Interco's as the cost on them is close to a BFG and if I am going to spend that type of money on a tire, I will stick with the BFG's

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The S/T or M/S?

17. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

Goodyear Wrangler A/T S 265/70/17 with 800lbs cement slab behind the wheels.
    The reg cab/short bed F150 is a plowing animal with this set up..

Liked the tires so much, I just bought another set for our other truck.

Not high wearing tires, but they do work good.

Bob

18. CT-TILEMAN

CT-TILEMAN Member

S/T's

Thumbs Up

19. UpstateServices

UpstateServices Junior Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  20. oneoldsap

oneoldsap Senior Member

Cooper M/S

My tires are 265/75/16 . For the past 12 years I've been running Cooper M/S 10 ply studded . My truck is a 97 Chevy K-3500 SRW 5.7 auto . I have two sets of wheels with A/Ts on the other set for the summer . I have tried different tires in my 35 Years of plowing and these Coopers eclipse them all for traction on snow and ice and I plow some steep grades here in VT . Wide tires provide floatation , narrow tires provide traction , Floating on snow can be hazerdous to you health !

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011