1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tires and alignment now front "wallows"

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by hosenfeffer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. hosenfeffer

hosenfeffer Senior Member
    from nh

My tires finally gave out on 02 2500hd had 4 new and an alignment now supposedly in spec.
    Now at highway speeds 65-70 plus front end just goes from side to side with any kind of steering input.
    Put a trailer on and at 60-65 and it takes off on its own. I have raced motorcycles and had front end wobbles at 100 mph and while it will wake you up it is recoverable but this actually made me nervous.
    Tires are the same brand and size and this was a truck at 75 was stable and comfortable with a loaded trailer or 4000 lb boat.
    what happened? getting the gee wasn't me from a national tire chain.

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

What's the load rating of the tires? I'm betting on either having the wrong tires (load range C, D, or possibly even passenger tires instead of E rated) or they screwed up the alignment. Check that the tires are correct, and if they are, take it to another alignment shop for a second opinion.

Edit: After re-reading your post, my money's on the alignment being off.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure the lug nuts and tires are set right on and tight. Needs to be rebalanced maybe.And in some cases you need to work your tires in ,they are sill squared and need to be broken in because it makes like the truck is skating around.Also make sure a calipher is not hung up now.

4. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Check your air pressure.

5. hosenfeffer

from nh

As of last night air pressure, lug nuts, alignment look good according to them. Can confirm all but alignment personally, Had Front end off ground and no real slop when applying pressure up with a pry bar and no side to side movement with hand pressure. Truck has timbrens and bilsteins of correct size on front but they were there last year too.
    They supposedly have their tech guru on site today we will find out. Thanks for the suggestions. marty

6. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Its likely either a bum alignment job or soft tires. If they're not Load Range E they might be too soft, but I would think even load range C tires would work just fine on an unloaded 2500HD.

7. nh785

nh785 Member

sounds like the idler arm. we replace the idle and pitman arm on our chevys every 2-4 years

8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

An alignment gone bad will usually cause a pull or a push, not make it dance. Also the fact that it only does it at high speed really makes me lean towards the tires. I've done a lot of alignments and never encountered a situation that would make the truck weave back and forth relating to the alignment. Have the tires rotated front to back and try it from there. What kind of tires, size, load rating?

9. hosenfeffer

from nh

Put fronts on back and had a little vibration back there. Cleaned corrosion from rims. They replaced all four tires just in case from a different lot still had problem. Shop has been trying different things, have done computerized alignments personally and watched them set up and specs had not changed. They are going to swap out with 4 new tires anyway of a different brand tomorrow and see what happens. It got a little better playing with air pressures any chance of a steering box damage while doing work on this truck? I can rebuild my bike but trucks leave me a little confused!
    Gonna rebuild FE this fall with a few new moog parts and cognitos pivot and idler support. Other than that find a suspension shop in Nh somewhere.

10. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

What brand and type of tires? I've heard of some tires being incompatible with some vehicles. A good example is the Michelin AT2 on Ford Superduties, for whatever reason, the Ford's just chew them up, yet they're just fine on other vehicles, while other tires are just fine on the Superduties. Doesn't make much sense, but that could be what's going on, sounds like they're working with you though! Thumbs Up

11. hosenfeffer

from nh

We went back to stock size hancook dynapros which alleviated some of the problem. Have to put it down to worn parts somewhere and with a bunch of towing and plowing / 50-60k miles\ with no maintenance gotta assume it just doesnt like new tires?
    Talk to Cognito tech support who was very knowledgable in my last truck and going to put in the pitman idler arm support kits and due some overdue front end stuff. My service shop noticed some wear here and there but nothing to raise red flags. He believes putting alignment back in spec with new tires could have caused it but unlikely . We will find out in a couple weeks.

12. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

What happens is things wear out so slowly you dont even notice the truck handling differently, kind of like putting a frog in water and heating slowly as opposed to putting it in boiling water kind of thing. Your old tires were wore by the parts getting loose. Installing new tires and realigning the vehicle brought those parts of the truck to near new condition, but the rest of the truck is not. With the new tires with no wear patterns yet, you can feel the parts that may be loose and anything that's been worn by 50,000 miles of plowing and towing.

13. hosenfeffer

from nh

rebuild

From my admittedly limited knowledge and a honest proffesional mechanic we can see no real problem to point at.
    Planning to add cognitos idler and pitman support kits after one conversation with a" monster" truck guy I know. Since I plan to use this truck for another 40-60k or more of towing and plowing I would prefer to rebuild or tune up front end at one shot and be done with it.
    I am more about durability and the smoother ride than ride height etc,
    So knowing this looking for recommendations as to what to replace ,what to just "rebush"etc.
    Moog seems to come highly favored. I would rather replace some things now than rather repair at an inconvenient time. From looking at moog on ebay it adds up but cheaper than being stranded or down time in season and paying someone to plow my lots.
    New bilsteins shocks and stabilizer shock and timbrens are in last fall. Got a couple seasons minimum on all else some been in there a long time!
    What to chuck and what to save a buck on? Any one know a shop in NH , southern Maine or northern Mass area that is really GOOD at this kind of stuff?
    Sorry for the length but wanted to get the right info out the first time.
    2002 gmc 2500hd 6.0 gas
    10k lb max box trailer normally much lighter weight use but some long high speed hauls
    4k lb total boat hauls from a 100-300 mile round trip to at least once a week from May till late october.
    blizzard 8 1/2 speed wing with a 20 plus car lot and three 10 car or so lots that have 2 inch triggers during retail hours.