1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

TIRES, again...

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by monson770, Nov 9, 2014.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

has anyone plowed with Michelin ltx ms/2 or similar style tire? if so, what type of traction does it provide in deep snow?

i have been running general grabber at/2's for the last 3 years or so, and am thinking about buying a tire with some more siping, that preferably goes all the way down hence the reference to the Michelin's... i have had good luck with the grabbers, strong tire, performs well enough in most conditions, but seems to struggle with slush or icy-type conditions, and the smaller amount of sipes is the culprit in my opinion..
    also wondering if the 70k mile warranty is still good when buying a load range E tire and plowing with it.. the guy at discount tire said that it would be but im not sure, maybe a call to Michelin is in order?
  2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

LTX are junk. These are factory on the Ford trucks. Good luck with them if you by a set I'm on my fourth set in 4 years all have been juck
  3. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

Those kinda look like street tires. My buddy just got there Michelin ltx at2. Seem really grippy. The only bad thing is they seem to pick up stones.
  4. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I just went thru the same thought process with Duratracs. They're great for plowing and deep snow, but tend to be slick on hard pack roads in daily driving, probably because the siping on them is kind of sparse. I just bought some Cooper M&S. I've used them in the past, but they didn't come in 18" back then, which is why i ended up going with Duratrac. The Coopers do come in 18" now, so i went back to them.
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I've always preferred Goodyear AT/S.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I HATE, HATE, HATE!!! General Grabber AT2's Great tires for about the first 5k miles then wear out in the blink of an eye for me. I went through 4 set starting from 18,000 miles to about 50 some thousand miles. I switch to Cooper Discovery AT3's and so far have worked out very well

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Cooper discoverer M & S dedicated snow tires for me . Thumbs Up
  8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Ltx at2 is what you want
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I had a set of those over priced Michelin's
    they were the worst snow tire I have ever used and they didn't do well on gravel roads ether.

but they are a excellent for towing on a dry or on damp highways.

10. hellion

hellion Member

Running Goodyear Ice Grip WRT with studs.Superb ice and snow traction compared to all terrains. Downside is that they are too soft to run year round. More SSS
  11. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

I see Cooper has a new winter tire in the AT-W.

50,000 mi warranty. Full-depth siping. Looks good.

Anyone have a set yet? They just came out in Sept.