1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tires again

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lilweeds, Nov 15, 2010.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

My truck currently has 215/85/16 on it. It is a 2006 3500 dually dump. What would be a good size to move up to?

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Let me see BFG, Goodyear, Firestone, Toyo, Cooper, Nitto, Hankook, I'm sure I missed a few but make sure they are round ones.

3. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

DJ, you misunderstood. What size can I move up to, w/o major surgery to the truck? Say 235's?

4. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry...somebody just asked that question last week search for it.

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

yes, 235/85/16 is a great upsize. Extremely popular size so availablity isn't a problem. They will look much better than the little weenie tires. And they will fit with no mods, wont rub in the back. I changed my 97s 225/70/16s to 235/85/16s and was happy. Decided to upsize again with a small lift to 255/85/16. Looks good but needed a spacer between the rears. Very rare size so tougher to find options. Used to run TSL TrXus MTs, which I loved, but they got discontinued. Now stuck with Remington Mud Brutes. Not real happy so far but the real test will be plowing, which hasnt happened yet. Also changed my 82 dually from 215/85/16 to 235/85/16. Now it looks more like a 4wd.
    Shouldn't be enough to drastically affect your speedo. May slow it down a tad, not sure about the newer electronic trucks.
    Don't be afraid to go with something aggressive. My first set were pretty wimpy highway/AT tread, didn't think I'd need much beef on such a heavy truck with a locker, but I was wrong. Got stuck a lot with those tires, and spun all the time even with a load of mix on. Went to a real aggressive mud tire and have never looked back. If you don't already know this your going to need plenty of weight, since your rear tires are dividing up the weight and putting half as much each on the ground.