1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tired ole dogs..........

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Jan 11, 2013.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I just finished up installing a Meyer plow set up on a friends 98 Jeep wrangler. It came off a mid 80's Jeep wrangler. He was skeptical after he bought it as to whether or not it would even run. I got the frame mount done and mounted the headgear, put the pump on (E47) and used some jumper cables and a jumper wire to get it to raise. I had already told him how great these pumps are. Well, it lifted and the worse crap you have ever seen came out of the shaft. LOL But heay, it worked! I placed the order for the needed parts (74 bucks worth). I put it all back together tonight, flushed the rams and put in new fluid, it works AWESOME!
    I've seen my share of these things and I'm always amazed at how they will work even when they really shouldn't.
    Like I told him, it's probably 25 years old or more and still going strong.
  2. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

dave, the basic platform of the E-47 is practically bullet proof. thats why the E-57 was such a great pump, an e-47 with Alot more speed!! Many people around here are still running E-47's that were take offs from thier custom mounts from the 80's!! as long as the owner changed the fluid every year, kept dialectric grease on connections, etc... Ive seen 20-25 years of service from the E-47. ussmileyflag
  3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

E47's are, in my experience, very finnicky, and will stop working if you look at them funny. At least they're easy to work on and cheap though.
  4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

I have an old 92 pickup with an E47 but then I don't plow commercial, just my driveway, but it's been good for about 7 years now. I picked up a spare one to have on ebay for 200 bucks a few years ago. I keep the fluid changed every year and it's been good to me. If something happens I swap it out in 5 minutes with the spare and keep on going. Once in a while I have a problem with the slick stick when it won't raise but I play with it and it starts working again. I'll change that out soon.
  5. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

we had an E-47 on a 85 Dodge 250 Sno Commander that gave us over 20 years of commercial service without a hitch. ussmileyflag