1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tired of plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elitelandscape, Feb 4, 2003.

1. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I have been plowing since sunday no stop until today. I have come to conclusion that you should never open your mouth on this message board about how good something works. Today in my 2002 chev 1500 the transfer case went and my front differential extomated cost $5000.00 (cdn that is). So now i can tell everyone don't plow with a 1500 because it will fall apart.
    So to end my story and all i just ordered a duramas diesel lets see if i can break that.

Hope everyone else is getting snow
  2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Before you say too much ou might consider that chances are good that the t'case and diff just might be the same ones in your new truck.
  3. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Dont feel bad, we broke the front diff in our 1997 F-250 Heavy Duty truck while plowing in Dec. I thought that was a heavy duty plowing truck. the repairs with junk yard (used) parts was over $2400. US. When a customer complains about our plowing rates we should all remember these things.:eek:
  4. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

things break like trans, t cases,rear and front ends,engine.its just a fact of life.ford chevy dodge don't build there trucks around plowing.there built for daily drivers and towing needs.yeah sure they have plow packages but thats just for hanging a heavy plow on your front end.i know the t case in my f350 is the same as some 250SD and 450,550.i also seen some f150 and 250 ld that have the same case in them.my 250 ld and my 350 gas have the same trans and rear ends 11 inch
  5. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

Don't you have a warranty with that truck?
  6. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I was thinking the same thing. I hope the warrenty bought your truck back and then you just moved over to the larger one.

If not and money is no problem, can you buy me a truck too? :D

I wont beat on it like you. We dont plow much at all either!
  7. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I also thought the same thing as the warranty.

make sure you post some pics of that new rig too once you get it and put a plow on it. What kind of plows are you considering to put on it?
  8. mowmannnn

mowmannnn Banned

I have been plowing with my 1999 Chevy Extended cab short bed four three years and have had nothing but good luck! Just rolled over 56000 miles this morning on the way to the farm. I think it has a lot to do with how people maintain their rigs. Now, my next rig will be a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton, mainly because I am either going to buy a V-plow or a Blizzard.
  9. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Sorry to hear of your problem

I have a 1990 GMC 3/4 ton with 260,000 . The moter has approx 70,000 it was a new moter from GM. I have replaced the rear end twice at aprox 1,200 each time. Part of doing the work. I hope by this fall I will have a GMC 4500 or 5500 4x4 diesel . Just waiting for the 4x4 modle . Hope everyone has a good season.
  10. The_Burning_Rom

The_Burning_Rom Member

They just don't make em like they used to ;) The Ramcharger I plow with has been doing so for almost 14 years now on the same tranny/engine/x-fer case. Strong as an OX! If only the sheetmetal was that strong :( :( :(
  11. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Sorry to hear of your troubles.:( I guess its just the business we are in. Snow removal isn't to kind on trucks, and no matter how meticulous you are with your trucks, something will break, and usually in the middle of a snowstorm:realmad:
  12. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

hey buddy ya want to solve all your problems BUY A FORD F-350 4X4 POWERSTROKE that will fix it all promise ya!!
  13. lol... but it's really not nice to kick someone when they are down, George! :)

14. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

i was kickin plow gurlie i was just suggesting my dear when i was down i bought a ford an havent turned back yet just to help push chevys off the road !!
  15. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

WOW Ford people are really funny. I thought this was a plow site, not some immature Chevy vs. Ford site
  16. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Hey Lee!

Haven't you been paying attention?

Those Blizzards are unproven, junk, have too many moving parts, and are Meyers wanna-be's!;)
  17. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

I plow with an 88 k1500 with well over 200,000 miles on it, i bought it this year and the dude i got it from has plowed with it since 97 and the only major thing was transfer case loosened up once. differentials are Original.
  18. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

They are telling me here that diff's hardly ever go in the chevys. especially a new one. no it wasn't under warrenty i wish it was. The good news is guys the part is on a plane right now from another city it's out of a 2002 chev for the grand total of $550.00 cdn. It's nice to have some good news sometime since we are supposed to be getting 10 inches tomorrow night.
  19. tnt69tnt69

tnt69tnt69 Member

You must really do a lot of driving if that truck is already out of warranty. :eek:
  20. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I put 60,000 to 80,000 km's on a year so about 45,000 to 50,000 miles. warrenty runs out at 60,000 kms