1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tired of losing wing edges...please help

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by alsam116, Feb 15, 2016.

1. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

810 power plow wing bolts snap I guess when the wing gets caught on a curb backing up. I've lost 3 wing edges the past 2 seasons and lost another today. Is there a better way to secure them, threaded rod or ???. Would rubber be a better bet for me so I quit losing the $100 edges? Thank you guys for your help I just am starting to get really pissed. Love the plow so going back to straight blade not an option. Most of what we plow is pre salted so no real hard pack, I just like the wings so I can carry snow when doing loading docks or just drive lanes during day storms.

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Stop hitting curbs with the wing out.

3. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

Over sized washers??? Maybe flat steel all the way across the face of the wing where the edge bolts on??? Just couple thoughts off top of my head

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

I have never heard of anyone experiencing this. I would appreciate if you can give as much information as possible in order to diagnose your problem.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Might have lost out of a bunch, definitely nothing like you're referring to.

6. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Are the bolt heads sheering off or pulling threw? How hard / fast are you hitting curbs? Maybe this is a good thing? If your hitting hard, the cutting is busting off rather than doing real damage to the wing or box ?? What grade bolts?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are the nuts coming off instead of the braking your thinking of?
    Seems like something ain't quite right.

8. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

You say snapping bolts. I'm thinking it's the curb. Those granite curbs around here might take them wings right off. Probably not a super harden bolt to protect wing out. Pass on them curbs bro. Good luck. Thumbs Up

9. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

The bolt heads are what is poping off. I use the bolts that come with the edge set. Could be losing them while actually plowing also I'm not sure but one time was when I was bcking away from the curb from stacking and wing caught the curb itself from the plow being angled a little. I know on one of the lots I lost an edge it is slick concrete with no bumps or bad/ raised control joints(damage). Thank you guys for the quick responses. Mark o are you saying you have lost some before? Does poly crack instead of dissappering into a pile somewhere? I was just thinking rubber so I could still carry snow and push wide when needed and have flex when it grabs something it shouldn't. I forgot to add the edges that came on the used plow when I bought it had the round pin that slides in the wing hole itself. I hope you guys understand that. The new edges don't have the round pin on them do you think the round pin would give it a little less flex when hitting something and not break the bolts?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I think we have had ONE that fell off completely. We have broken a handful of bolts. I've had around 10 Blizzards and this is definitely not an ongoing issue.

Are you possibly overtorquing them during install?

11. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

my 810 just uses a GR8 carriage bolt , but ive never broke one yet , try putting in a GR5 , the GR8 wont take shear forces as good as the softer bolt will, but the wings arent really in a shear position, lift your blade higher, or shim your hitch so you can lift higher

12. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Almost forgot I had this problem a few years ago.It turned out the edges were not sitting completely flat on the wing.The holes in the wing were buggered enough that the edge would rock enough that it would start popping bolts one at a time.Took a grinder and and ground wing surface so the edge had full contact with the wing.No problems since.Not sure if this relates to your issue though,

13. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

Thanks Leigh.. I think I may or will have to do that after looking at the wing in dayligt the damn sleves the bolts slide into slammed forward with the contact on whatever the edge grabbed on while plowing. I'm going to have to add New wing skin to moldboard or grind down the sleves to make the wings flush. The wings look bent now so I don't know if I need to take the whole wing off plow and retweak before putting new edges on so I can quit losing them. Thank you guys for the help and responses!!

14. redclifford

redclifford Senior Member
    from Niagara

I have a friend that runs the same plow, he's had issues with them coming loose . he's found them in his snow banks, last Friday he noticed it just in time and tightened them back up before it came off

15. 98Chevy2500

98Chevy2500 Senior Member

The round pin only came on the older edges that were shipped with the plows installed at the factory, the replacements never came with them. Gr5 only, Gr8 will snap easily, and obviously locknuts. Never lost a wing edge out of seven 810's, smacked a curb on an angle with a F-450 headed downhill loaded with 5-6 tons at 30mph....

16. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I have been using then since 2000. Its not common at all. Between all of us we have 30 plows. My guess is the bolts are coming lose and the edge is moving. That the only time I have lost a edge. Are the bolts on the side edge breaking too? If you hit a curb backing up the wing should fold forward. The bigger problem with the edges at one point was ripping from hitting curbs