1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tired of chasing snow whats the hot set up?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by csnowmizer, Jan 29, 2004.

1. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

I have mostly residential driveways and a few apartment complex's. using 1998 3/4 chevy with meyers 71/2 ft staight blade,E/47.This being my first year plowing i definately need a more efficient system.any suggestions? I am having nightmares!!!thanks for any info...

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

What is the route of your nightmares?

3. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

have you ever plowed before, for anyone else? If not I'm thinking it's a more efficent system that you need, I mean no offense...I see guys making due with much smaller.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Boss or Western V PLow.:nod:
    I do just fine with a straight blade without wings.:waving:

5. t4dodge

t4dodge Member

Practice, practice, practice.. In due time through experience, you'll get better and more efficient...

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i try to think of ways to plow my route faster and better. and what is the best way to plow a house or lot. one restaurant, i didnt like some bushes that were in the way, so last time i plowed i was going by them, hit a bump and the plow bounced down and tore some of them out.:D :D i thaught it was funny. :D :D

7. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Practice, prctice, practice

That's the key. It will get easier and faster with experience. I have been cutting off 2-5 minutes off of each driveway each storm. Also helps to set up your route so you have the least amount of driving between sites.

8. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

i guess i should have described my situation a little better,the problem i am having is backdragging allways leaving trailers or maybe i am being to picky. seems like i spend most of my time backdragging. anything to improve containg the snow a little better would help.rear plow maybe?

9. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

What happens this spring when you have to replace those bushes. If they were mature bushes, it could get expensive?

10. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

csnowmizer, I had a lot that I started plowing for the first time this year, it took me 2-1/2 hours to get through this thing, the practice practice practice thing is true, I'm down to 1-1/2 hour after 5 events at this location. I'm thinking the more I plow it, the faster and more efficient I'll become. Be patient, you'll get these accounts down as I did.

Heck I'm lookin for a few new accounts, I'm home way to soon. I finish all my commercial's all 7 in 2/3rd's the amount of time now.

Best of luck to you my friend !!

11. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

if your stuck doing alot of back draging a rear pull plow might help. Do a serch and you will find all kinds of info.

otherwise just more experince will help......maybe try to ride along with an experienced plower

12. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

guess i will just have to get some time under my belt, just gets frustrating.well with it snowing just about evervday that should gettin experience should not be a problem.thanks guys!

13. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

and maybe try to learn how to form a sentence!!!:eek:

14. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Practice makes perfect...if practice is perfect that is :D

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

"csnowmizer" :
    Your not going to get the same results from back dragging as pushing it's just a fact of plowing life. Like all the guys say practice - practice - practice. Learn where the sweet spot is when you have the plow angled so you don't trail snow with the off the forward edge. Just when you think you got it down, the next storm throws different type snow at you. Just be careful it's easy to do damage to stuff. Resist the urge to plow fast or drive fast between jobs. It's just too easy to make a big dollar mistake or crash like I almost did the last storm.
    Just keep reading the site there is all kinds of info here.

16. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

MickiRig1,
    I take most guys just use a straight plow? what are the benefits of a v-plow?thanks for the advice!

17. GMCplow

GMCplow Junior Member

I'd like to add that it's a good idea to map out a site ahead of time. Literally draw a sketch and take pictures... Then, when it's not snowing, you can figure out a plan ahead of time as to where you will stack, what has to be backdragged, etc. Always better to work off of a plan, than to go in blind. Also gives you the chance to note where the expensive bushes are and other liabilities. Also shows you have done your homework, and may provide before/after evidence of site conditions. Pick a property, and sit down and give it some solid thought before the next storm. "I'll make two back drags here, then push that over there. Then, as long as the truck is facing this direction, I can push that to there before doing....". My bet is you'll be more professional and get the jobs done faster. Of course, a car parked somewhere you didn't expect it to be makes a challenge out of it, but that's life!!!! How is the cutting edge on your plow? I replaced mine this year (also a Meyer ST90), and it made a significant difference in reducing "missed" areas. Hope I've helped!:waving:

18. csnowmizer

csnowmizer Junior Member

GMC plow,
    you know that is a great idea about shooting some pics! I think next year i just may do that could help out big time, everybody is allways trying to get something for nothing,good to have some evidence!plow edge is like new, sounds to me with more experience i should do ok

19. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

justwondering

Im fairly knew my self but lets be serious were talking about a few drive ways that are being plowed with decent ecquipment. Whats the problem are you trying to back drag to much?
    Are you feet set to high {blade to ground clearnce}?

Most importantly are your customers happy with your work product.. as long as the customer is happy you should be happy to.

Just a little advice. try loosing the feet so you scrape better, more down pressure more you can pull back. good luck just trying to help

20. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Want to back-drag better? Get a Sno-Way with down-pressure! Just as good a rear plow...well almost.....