1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire & Wheel Size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris-R, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I own a 2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD work truck which has 16 X 6.5 gray steel wheels. The stock tires are LT245/75R/16. I want to upgrade to some Cooper Discoverer ATR LT265/75R/16 tires. If you look at the Cooper website, it says you need at least 16 X 7 inch wheels for that tire size which means I would have to buy new wheels. I don't want to buy wheels if I don't have to but I also don't want to do something stupid by being penny wise and pound foolish. I went to one Cooper dealer who agreed with the web site so they said I needed at least 16 X 7 inch wheels. I went to another Cooper dealer who told me that my current 16 X 6.5 inch wheels were fine and there would be no problem at all with mounting the 265's on my current 16 X 6.5 wheels. Can anyone comment pro and con here? I'm not sure what to do. Thanks.
  2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

i had 285s on my 01 2500hd,cranked up the bars and it was fine
  3. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I am pretty sure that if you change your wheel size, then the antilock brakes will not work:(
  4. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

first time i every heard that one.what does the tire size have to do with how much pedal pressure you apply?just FYI the 05s HD now comes standard with the 265s
  5. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I don't think I made myself clear and apologize for that. What I want to know is what you think about mounting a 265 tire on a 6.5 inch wide wheel when Cooper Tire says the wheel should be at least 7 inches wide. I am wondering how that will affect tire safety, tire wear, strength, load range, gas mileage, etc. I find it odd that one dealer says this is perfectly fine to do while another says no. BTW, the tire dealer who said there is no problem mounting a 265 tire on a 6.5 inch wheel is a very reputable dealer. I have bought wheels and tires from them before with nothing but good results. This, of course, is the root of my quandary.
  6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have LT262 75 R16 tires on 2 of my GMC trucks right now that have the factory 6.5 rims on them. I have had no problems to date with them....
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Try another dealer that does not sell wheels and see what they say. I would think they would have a chart to tell what size tire needs what size rim. It's not that big a change from stock width of the tires 78 vers 75.
  8. PlowKid

PlowKid Junior Member

I have seen guys running 305s on the stock rims before. It looked funny and the tires will probably wear poorly though. 265s will be fine. I have them on my truck and have no problems whatsoever. 285s will even be fine.

JRKRACE Senior Member

I've done it and have had no problems...If you go bigger. say to a 285 tire, I would buy rims then..