1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Wheel Size

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by olesnowpatrol, Dec 1, 2014.

1. olesnowpatrol

olesnowpatrol Member

OEM on my rig is 16". Do you prefer 16", 17", 18" or other for plowing?

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

16", you have a better selection of work tire and they're cheaper. I have a 97 f-350 with 16's and a 08 F-350 with factory 18's. In OEM sizes the 16's are $50.00-75.00 less per tire.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  3. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

I have a hell of a time finding the tire size I want in 17's.

4. 82k10ny

82k10ny Junior Member
    from latham

i prefer a good set of 16s, easily cheaper than 17" + and usually with bigger rims the width standard also increases which means wider tire which equals more float vs more dig. 16s with 235/85s or 215/85s would be the way to go thats what i will be running next season. my old man used to run his 86 k30 dump dually with the outer duals pulled and 3k of concrete on a flat bed to get maximum bite. and it worked.

5. pnoone

pnoone Member

Was just wondering about this earlier today, thanks for posting the question and for the informative replies. Makes sense you'd get more dig vs float with a smaller tire.

6. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i agree 100% that 16" is the way to go. however, be sure your truck can fit 16" rims. a lot of trucks with 17's and bigger are that large because the brakes need a larger wheel for clearance. so the OP says that 16" is stock on this truck so he will have no issues. but people with 17's or larger that want a cheaper tire with a greater size selection need to be sure a 16" rim will clear their brakes before they run out and buy a set.

and yes, a narrow tire is better in the snow. a dedicated snow tire with a 235 width is ideal for a 3/4 or 1 ton plow truck in my opinion. i run 235 85 16.

7. jasburrito

jasburrito Senior Member

With a smaller wheel you are buying more rubber. So the price being higher for a bigger wheel size is a$$ backwards. But true

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Larger wheels/tires do cost more, and the selection is more limited. However, I like the larger brakes, so I'm content with paying a little more for the tires knowing I have a little more surface area for brake pads.

9. RUJusten

RUJusten Member
    from VA

I run 285/75r16 BFG AT on my '91 F-250 and they work great - don't even need 4WD 3/4 of the time.

10. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Many pickups can be bought from the factory with 16, 17, or, 18 inch wheels.

I doubt GM, Ford, Fiat (Dodge) design three different brake systems for each size wheel.

People buy larger wheels to have shorter side walls. For most it is a look thing. Lower aspect ratio harder to mount tire, better cornering traction due to less sidewall flex, harsher ride due to less tire cushion.

I would say that what ever wheel size is used the tire diameter will still be the same to maintain wheel well clearance, correct speedometer reading and final drive ratio.

So if a particular brand tire tread was available on all three sizes it would appear that snow traction would be the same.

The only thing I do not know is how decreasing the aspect ratio effects the tires load rating.

11. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

2005 Ford Super Duty's went to a coil spring front-end, changed wheel offset and to a larger diameter brake system, 17" wheel is the smallest you can run on any Ford '05 and newer.

12. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

This is a manufacturer that designed a model year with all trucks to have a wheel that 17" is the minimum size. I doubt they changed the brakes when you get a larger wheel option.

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

They have 3 brake systems to meat the different and increasing GVWR of the different vehicles.

on some tires as the treed block gets bigger as the tire size increases even thew the pattern is the same.

14. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

There is only one 1500/half ton. It comes with several wheel size options. Brakes are the same.

There is only one 2500/three quarter ton..........

15. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

It doesn't. The tire is rated for whatever is stamped into the rubber, regardless of the sizes.

16. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I thought they only changed the brake size on chassis F350 F450 F550 Vs regular pickup in 05