1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Tire Wear

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by sdplowing, Sep 17, 2009.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

My front pass. tire is wearing heavily on the outside tread. I know this can be caused by a bad balljoint or wheel bearing but that upper balljoint was replaced last year and I can't get any play out of the bearing. Is there anything else that could cause wear like that? Misalignment?:confused:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In no particular order...

Worn inner or outer tie rod (inner's usually)
    Worn Idler arm. (very common)
    Needs an alignment

Or a combination of all three... :D

3. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

With my luck it would be all three. What should I look for when checking those 3 items? Thanks for the reply:salute:

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can jack the right a-frame to take the tire just off the ground. Grab at 3 and 6 o'clock. Start shaking and look for play between joints. If the inner tie rod is moving up and down, it's the idler arm. Been through a few till I switched to Napa heavy duty.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have the same luck I do Sean... :D

With the truck on the ground have a helper wiggle the steering wheel back and forth across center just slightly (2" or so) while you watch for any "play" in the steering components where each one pivots...such as the connection points between the inner and outer tie rods and the components they attach to, the points where the Idler arm is attached both at the center link and at it's connection point at the frame. Basically any and all pivot points in the entire steering system is what you need to watch.

If you find any play at all in these connecting points- then that component needs attention.

6. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

I think we have a winner. So how much fun is it to replace an idler arm?:cry:

Yay, 100th post.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Shouldn't be bad. Haven't done on one that generation, but they can't be much different. Loosen the nut on the stud in the center link almost all the way. Good smack with the hammer should break it loose. Take the bolts off the frame bracket, all out.