1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

tire tread pattern on obs f250

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplowpro, Jan 6, 2013.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I have a 96 f250 I bought two decent used tires does the tread patterns make a difference on these trucks as long as there both the same size tire
    tires are 235-85-16 and does it make a difference weather its back to front or on same rears. Trying to get opinions before I have them mounted.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

size is what matters. as long as the tires are the same size you are ok. the only thing tread pattern effects is traction.

3. snowplowpro

from NJ

OK so it don't do anything to the transfer or transmission then

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Technically:
    Any mismatch in tires can result in different circumference, even if they're the same model and just from two different production runs.

Realistically:
    If your tires are labeled with the same size (not just the same width or height but the whole same size; they all have to say 235/85-16, if one says 235/75-16 or 245/85-16 then it's wrong), you'll be fine. If you have two perfectly matched tires try to keep those two on the rear, if not it ought to be fine anyway.

Whether your tires are matched or not, you shouldn't drive on clean pavement (or other good traction surfaces) in 4WD. (AWD vehicles with a center differential are exempt from that statement.)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u will be fine i run all miss match tires on are 1 tons that are the same size

6. snowplowpro

from NJ

OK thank you

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Personally I wouldn't run any mismatched tires on any vehicle unless it was a true emergency (ie, temporary replacement for a damaged tire, even then I would move it to a none drive wheel asap). I wouldn't have believed it until I actually seen what I am about to describe.

I had a customer bring there AWD Safari van in years ago for a shutter/jump feeling at highway speeds. Turns out that they would only replace the front tires when they wore out rather than rotate them every 6k like gm suggested. The customer paid for 2 in expensive front tires of the same size but different make of the rears. I put them on, took it for a test drive and still had the problem. I called GM tech assist and that is when they told me to mark all 4 tires at the 6 o'clock position and have someone walk next to the vehicle while I drove the vehicle forward 10 revolutions of one tire. At that point all 4 tire marks should be between 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock (witch they were at 6 and 11 ish). Tech assist said that the circumference difference was too much and could cause internal damage if left alone. Well, the customer bought 2 more in expensive tires of the same size and brand of the front that I put on the vehicle and the problem was gone.

8. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

but we are talking about a F-250 4 wheel drive pickup, not an all AWD

if he said i have a AWD escape, i would have said you need all 4 tires the same brand, and age.

if you have a blowout on an AWD and the tires on it have more than around 10,000 miles on them, you are buying all 4 new tires and throwing the 3 perfectly good tires away.

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I would expect most AWD vehicles to have a reasonable center differential to handle that issue.

10. snowplowpro

from NJ

Yes tjc is right its gonna be in 2wd when I'm not plowing and I don't use the truck all the time I have a little beater I use for daily driving and use the truck basically when I need it.

11. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

It's just me, I understand that its a selectable 4wd, but again, me personally, I wouldn't run anything except a complete matching set unless it were a true emergency. I don't disagree that he may get away with it, but in my mind, is it worth the risk? I'm kind of weird like that. Some things have to be just so (OCD maybe??). When we go camping, the camper has to be perfectly level. I will spend hours making sure it is. So again, I'm sure its just me, but my vehicles all have matching tires bought at the same time with very close (only off by a week or so is the most I will accept) build dates.

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Deal is this;

1) Keep MATCHING tires (everything, including tread pattern) on the same axle. You can have different tires front vs back.
    2) If you MUST run mismatched tires on the same axle, put the mismatched tires on the BACK, and try to keep your speed down. NOT ON THE FRONT!!!!! A mismatch on the front can cause the vehicle to pull and can cause uneven braking, extra pull when braking. This can be dangerous.

Remember that ALL of your CONTROL is from the front wheels. Stopping and steering. The back wheels only give you forwardness and are much less sensitive when it comes to safety and control.